cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now stick disconnecting

I have two now tv sticks which auto detected display setting and they both keep disconnecting from hdmi and going to a black screen then come back on after a couple of seconds. They are both brand new. Please help it happens quite often but sporadically.

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you own two sticks, i assuming you are using two different televisions with them ?

Does the same symptoms happen on both televisions and if so what are the make and model numbers of the televisions ?

Have you tried going into the stick menu settings instead of using the Auto display and force 1080p or 720p to see if that stops the HDMI loss of signal with the blank screen ?

Are you plugging in the stick directly into your television HDMI port or are you using an external HDMI switcher Hub ?

Also i am assuming you have tried different HDMI ports on your televisions with the stick ?

If you are using a USB port on your television to power the stick, try using the supplied power adapter that came with the stick.

Maybe also go into your television settings to see if there is any options to change the HDMI profile.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello thanks for your reply. The sticks are on two different TVs Samsung ue48eh6030 and Samsung older model. I already force set them to 1080 and 720 which did not fix the issue. Both are plugged directly into the hdmi slot of the tv.

i will check the profile on tv tonight.

not seen anyone else reporting this and it seems very odd, and it’s annoying. Can anyone help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Don't bother looking for the HDMI profile where the option to change the HDMI profile from Auto to profile 2 or force 1.4 is on certain branded newer 4K televisions.

You could try playing around with the HDMI CEC control in your television menu.

I don't own a Samsung television so i won't be much further help sorry.

Perhaps a Samsung TV owner on the forum can offer some assistance or can confirm if they occasionally get a loss of HDMI handshake signal issue between their NowTV stick and Samsung television (i get the HDCP HDMI message on my Panasonic 4K television for a brief second now & again on my NowTV 4K box).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are no options on any of my TVs to change any hdmi settings. It disconnects about 5 times an hour. Someone please help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Go into the Samsung TV menu and play around with the feature called Anynet (HDMI CEC control).

I doubt this will resolve it, but no harm having a go.

Perhaps @RoyB will have some ideas, where i know he owns a couple of Samsung TV's.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Also when going into the Samsung menu settings, see if there is an option to check for firmware updates on the television.

Maybe also go into the stick menu and see if disabling the 1 - Touch feature helps (very unlikely, but i suppose worth a go).

I would say try a factory reset or force a software update on one of the sticks, but i doubt this would have any bearing when it comes to the loss of HDMI signal between the stick and your television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having your problem. I've tried the factory reset and got the log in screen where youenter your network password, all was going well and then... black screen again and nothing since.  I also have a Samsung tv.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the replies. I’m totally at a loss. It is a connection with the tv signal not WiFi, tried in both ports and same problem. It is like someone unplugs hdmi lead then plugs it straight back in. Never had any problems when I was using amazon fire sticks. I can’t get to the bottom of it after trying ur suggestions 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Just to clarify, are you saying that the Stick disconnects from the TV (the TV screen goes black, perhaps with a ‘No Signal’ message), or from your WiFi (the picture remains on the screen, but the programme stops?)

In the first case, can you try a different HDMI input on your TV?

@schnapps can you walk @Anonymous User through the secret menu where you can see the Stick temperature? I’m wondering about overheating...

(I’d do it myself, but see elsewhere....)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.