cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now stick cable faulty?

Hi my now stick cable is faulty and only purchased last month.  First they said they would replace it for free now are saying I have to pay for a new cable . I thought it was under guarantee still. Can someone tell me if this is right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

The NowTV Stick doesn’t come with a cable, unless you mean the lead from the mains adaptor; the Stick goes directly into an HDMI input on your TV.

You can use a short, or even a long, HDMI extender cable with it, if you can’t get the Stick into the HDMI input directly, but this would be a separate purchase, and not from NowTV.

Or perhaps you mean the Stick itself is faulty?

And who are ‘they’, who are trying to avoid the obligations placed on them by the Consumer Rights Act 2015? No, it’s not right (unless you have had your rabbit bite through the cable, as we had with our first cordless phone).

If you can kindly clarify, though, exactly what is faulty, and the exact circumstances here, we can offer further help and advice.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

The NowTV Stick doesn’t come with a cable, unless you mean the lead from the mains adaptor; the Stick goes directly into an HDMI input on your TV.

You can use a short, or even a long, HDMI extender cable with it, if you can’t get the Stick into the HDMI input directly, but this would be a separate purchase, and not from NowTV.

Or perhaps you mean the Stick itself is faulty?

And who are ‘they’, who are trying to avoid the obligations placed on them by the Consumer Rights Act 2015? No, it’s not right (unless you have had your rabbit bite through the cable, as we had with our first cordless phone).

If you can kindly clarify, though, exactly what is faulty, and the exact circumstances here, we can offer further help and advice.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I mean the lead to the mains . Sorry if I wasn't specific enough for you.And as I purchased the now stick through the now tv websight  I thought it was down to them to replace it!!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes it is, if the power supply has just stopped working. In the first six months after purchase, the onus is on the supplier to prove misuse by the purchaser if they want to repudiate a claim that something is faulty.

If NowTV want to do this, they should at least be asking you to send it back, at their expense, for testing.

And if they won’t, they should send you a free replacement without quibbling.

Which they should do anyway, as it’s hardly worth their while to investigate this.

Contact them again, tell them you are aware of your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015; and so should they be, and they should proceed accordingly.

In the meantime, it’s pretty safe to run the stick off any source that terminates in a USB-C plug, and conforms to the USB standards. We run ours off a USB port on the TV, via a short USB-A to USB-C cable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv are saying they do not supply replacement parts and I have to go buy it myself. For information it does work sometimes but you have to wiggle the connection to the stick to make it work ! 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

As you bought the whole package from NowTV, and the Stick no longer works without its power supply, you can repudiate the whole thing, and NowTV can replace the whole thing, then. Their choice.

But you had probably better go this route, unless you know the Stick works reliably with an alternate power supply, as the dodgy connection might be in the socket on the Stick, and not on the cable at all.

But WTF is a huge and prosperous operation like NowTV doing, nickel-and-diming a customer over a power supply they must have warehouses full of?

I’ll see if I can’t get someone who understands what a PR disaster this could be to help you out.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB When did they start using USB C connectors? I’ve got two sticks, and both use micro USB connectors. USB C connectors are a totally different shape (flat with rounded ends) which can be inserted either way round, unlike other USB connectors which only go in one way round.

RoyB
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb 

Quite right, it’s a micro USB, not a USB-C.

Thanks for the correction.

I misspoke, and I shall mend my ways 😛