cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV stick - subtitles

I’ve followed the help section info on turning on subtitles but it’s not working - I’ve tried turning them on in the home screen and also on the movie I was watching at the time which said it had subtitles, when I click on the caption symbol it says subtitles off when I click on it nothing happens. I’ve no idea where I’m going wrong so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The Captions Mode/On always, which should give you permanent subtitles, doesn’t work.

I was a mere stripling Newbie when I first reported this, and now look at me, but it still isn’t fixed 😰

But you should be able to turn them on programme by programme, for those that have subtitles, so I go:-

Click Play/Pause to Pause the programme

3 clicks on Arrow Right to reach the subtitles icon

click OK to open it

click Right Arrow to go from Off to English

click OK to choose English

click Play/Pause to set the programme going again

Subtitles start after a few seconds

Does this work for you, for programmes that offer subtitles? If not, where does it fail?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The Captions Mode/On always, which should give you permanent subtitles, doesn’t work.

I was a mere stripling Newbie when I first reported this, and now look at me, but it still isn’t fixed 😰

But you should be able to turn them on programme by programme, for those that have subtitles, so I go:-

Click Play/Pause to Pause the programme

3 clicks on Arrow Right to reach the subtitles icon

click OK to open it

click Right Arrow to go from Off to English

click OK to choose English

click Play/Pause to set the programme going again

Subtitles start after a few seconds

Does this work for you, for programmes that offer subtitles? If not, where does it fail?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My stick has stopped giving me the option to turn on subtitles. Due to sever hearing loss I need them to be able to use NOWTV. Guidance found elsewhere has not been available on screen.

Constant HTML error message when it is all in text! errr!!!!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There is a small button on the side of the Stick. Hold it in for 15-30 seconds to Hard Reset the Stick.

The screen will go blank, and then return, and you will need to set it up again from scratch.

See if this fixes it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Roy. It even did a software update which has not happened before. Problem solved.

Regarding the problem of getting HTML message errors I have found that even the apparently empty box that I am using for this reply was filled with a lot of HTML characters which I have had to delete before entering this reply. Is this a known problem with these message boards.  I discovered online a clue to expand the text line to get the HTML box and then delete all the superflous characters.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I usually reply on an iPad, and though I don’t see any HTML actually appearing, I quite often get told on trying to Post a reply that ‘Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.’

So I post again and it goes through.

I’m guessing it’s the same thing as you are seeing, except that the iPad hides the HTML, even though it’s present.

There’s a peculiar bug with the formatting options above my post that they don’t all appear with the iPad in portrait orientation (long edge vertical), but do when I rotate it into landscape (long edge horizontal),  

And one of these is a box saying HTML, which when I tap it, shows what my message actually looks like, with the HTML revealed. There’s quite a lot of it, and much of it is necessary,

<p>Hi&nbsp;<li-user login="Pentris" uid="2898603"></li-user>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I usually reply on an iPad, and though I don&rsquo;t see any HTML actually appearing, I quite often get told on trying to Post a reply that &lsquo;<span>Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.&rsquo;</span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>So I post again and it goes through.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I&rsquo;m guessing it&rsquo;s the same thing as you are seeing, except that the iPad hides the HTML, even though it&rsquo;s present.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There&rsquo;s a peculiar bug with the formatting options above my post that they don&rsquo;t all appear with the iPad in portrait orientation (long edge vertical), but do when I rotate it into landscape (long edge horizontal), &nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And one of these is a box saying HTML, which when I tap it, shows what my message actually looks like, with the HTML revealed. There&rsquo;s quite a lot of it, and much of it is necessary,</p>