cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Stick - DLNA support

I have just purchased a Now TV Stick, can the device support DLNA media servers on the same Wi-Fi network? I have loaded PlayTo but this appears to support only iPhones and Android phones. I want a DLNA client to play content from my networked recorder. I understand a recent update has removed the Developer Option that enabled Plex to be installed, so not an option anymore. Can you suggest a solution or if a DLNA client will be made available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

HI SB

Just seen your post, it is highly unlikely that Now TV will allow it's branded current and future streaming devices to have any kind of DLNA support, it is against their policy.

However, if there is DLNA on the Now TV devices they will not permit/allow connection to any non-approved device or use of channels/apps not in their app store. 

If you want to access Now TV facilities and supported channels/apps then you will have to buy a Roku streaming device, e.g, stick or box. Roku's have an extensive lists of free and paid for channels/apps available, all Now TV channels and more facilities, such DLNA,  the only thing is the Roku devices are much more expensive than their Now TV counterparts.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

PS. I have a Roku 3 which I use to play my digital albums stored on my media server through to my music system via my TV.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

HI SB

Just seen your post, it is highly unlikely that Now TV will allow it's branded current and future streaming devices to have any kind of DLNA support, it is against their policy.

However, if there is DLNA on the Now TV devices they will not permit/allow connection to any non-approved device or use of channels/apps not in their app store. 

If you want to access Now TV facilities and supported channels/apps then you will have to buy a Roku streaming device, e.g, stick or box. Roku's have an extensive lists of free and paid for channels/apps available, all Now TV channels and more facilities, such DLNA,  the only thing is the Roku devices are much more expensive than their Now TV counterparts.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

PS. I have a Roku 3 which I use to play my digital albums stored on my media server through to my music system via my TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for a very informative reply Bob, it’s appreciated.