cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New stick. Can connect to wifi but cannot connect to local network? Help

I’ve purchased a new stick, trying to connect it to my WiFi. I’ve entered the WiFi correctly and the stick connects with a green tick but it doesn’t connect to the local network and therefore won’t progress to the internet. What can I do, it’s driving me potty! 

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Are you sure that is what you are seeing?

If you are connected to WiFi, then you are connected to a local network.

So either you are connected to a local network that isn’t the local network you expect (e.g. you might be connected to the local WiFi from a printer, for instance), or the message is saying you are connected to the local network, but not through that to the internet.

Can you take a screenshot with another device, or a screenshot from your device, showing us the green tick and the message you are getting?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi RoyB

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I’ve been in touch with my broadband provider as I think it might be something to do with the router.

I definitely had three circles that need ticking
WiFi
Local network
Internet

As mentioned the WiFi ticks but it gets stuck on local network. It hangs on this option then an error message pops up saying that I may need to change settings on my router to accept MAC. I have no idea what that means. According to my provider I should restart my router wait a few hours then try the installing my NowTV stick again.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity who is your ISP (it's not Virgin Media by any chance ?).

If it's Virgin Media, disabling Network Pings sometimes works or using a Guest Network on the Virgin Hub Router.

Also when setting up the Stick, use the nearest TV in your home closest to your Router.

Sometimes a factory reset on your Router can ensure you get the three ticks and internet working between your Router and NowTV Stick.

Also i you are using a VPN on your Router, disable it whilst setting up the stick.

Another thing you can try is switching the mains power off on your Router for about 30 minutes to let the Router acquire a new IP address.

Also read that some Roku owners had some success using the free Google DNS server on your Router.

Others had success by temporary using a smartphone with a WiFi hotspot to initially setup the stick and download the latest software, then switch off your phone's WiFi hotspot and swap back to the Home Router by going into the Stick Settings under Network.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. 

The stick is now working. The issue was with my Vodafone router. I managed to get hold of Vodafone through an online chat. Seems I needed to put in some codes in the routers configuration. Not something someone like me would’ve even considered. Anyway Vodafone said it should solve the problem after a few hours. It took over 8 hrs. 

I still think I may have an issue with the package as I purchased a stick with three one month free passes but it likes like they’re only valid for 24 hrs.

Additionally Now isn’t working on my LG. Maybe Now has a technical issue this evening.   Anyone else experiencing connection problems?  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Glad Vodafone got you sorted with setting up your new stick on their Router.

I don't own an LG Smart TV with the native inbuilt NowTV App, but if you can provide more information what's happening on the LG NowTV App or if there is an error message or code, then maybe an LG Smart TV owner on the forum may be able to assist further.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can’t copy images / don’t know how to attach photos. I’m still experiencing the same problem with the new stick. It connects to the WiFi but it will not connect to ‘local network’ and therefore it won’t progress to connect to the ‘internet’. Anyone able to help with this issue. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

No worries about the screenshots now.

Just do what your broadband supplier advises, let us know if that fixes it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Am connect with & internet but won't upload to nowtv 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Is this a brand new stick? 

Are you able to perform a factory reset to the stick? This can often squash bugs on the system.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help