cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OILCAN
Scholar

NOWTV stick or Chromecast

Can anyone supply the pro's & cons as to which device is best.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @OILCAN

You may get different opinions on here between the Chromecast against the NowTV smart stick.

Where when i firstly joined NowTV i was using a Chromecast and because i am more old school i didn't like using my phone for casting and preferred an old fashion remote control.

Only use my Chromecast now for Spotify on my HiFi system and also taken advantage of Chromecast NowTV promo pass offers when they crop up now and again.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that using a Chromecast and mobile casting device counts has two devices on your account (unless you cast to your TV before playing content on your phone).

The Chromecast was pretty stable streaming NowTV for the short time that i used it and cannot comment on the  NowTV smart stick because i don't own one and the streaming performance would depend of a number of factors with regards to WiFi reception, your network setup etc etc.

The NowTV smart stick has voice activated commands for searching nowtv content if that is something that interests you (i have voice search on my Roku Stick Plus and Fire TV and i don't tend to use it myself and rather use the search or navigation manual buttons on the RC).

I am sure other members on here will post their experience using both devices to help making your mind up which device is more suitable for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @OILCAN

You may get different opinions on here between the Chromecast against the NowTV smart stick.

Where when i firstly joined NowTV i was using a Chromecast and because i am more old school i didn't like using my phone for casting and preferred an old fashion remote control.

Only use my Chromecast now for Spotify on my HiFi system and also taken advantage of Chromecast NowTV promo pass offers when they crop up now and again.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that using a Chromecast and mobile casting device counts has two devices on your account (unless you cast to your TV before playing content on your phone).

The Chromecast was pretty stable streaming NowTV for the short time that i used it and cannot comment on the  NowTV smart stick because i don't own one and the streaming performance would depend of a number of factors with regards to WiFi reception, your network setup etc etc.

The NowTV smart stick has voice activated commands for searching nowtv content if that is something that interests you (i have voice search on my Roku Stick Plus and Fire TV and i don't tend to use it myself and rather use the search or navigation manual buttons on the RC).

I am sure other members on here will post their experience using both devices to help making your mind up which device is more suitable for you.

OILCAN
Scholar

Thanks schnapps, yes l am old school too and like having a remote.  Never thought about 2 device thing though.

Regards

Oilcan

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @OILCAN

Hey Schnapps

I'm not just "old school", I'm ancient school, but I never knew you could use an remote control to control a Chromecast device.  You see, I have only ever used my android tablet to control my Chromecast so I've got to ask, how?

It may seem dumb but I don't understand how you could have effective control over your Chromecast without having a screen to see what you were casting and how to regain control if things went wrong, things you could not do with a screen-less RC.

Sorry if it seems like I'm doubting your advice, I'm just trying get an education.

UK Bob

PS. I mainly use my tablet to cast YouTube to my Chromecast device.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

No i dropped the Chromecast due to that i preferred to use a good old fashioned remote controller on a nowtv box Smiley Wink

Just couldn't get on with using a mobile device for casting via the Chromecast to my TV for things like Netflix, NowTV etc.

Still use my Chromecast for playing music via the Spotify App (Free version) and the YouTube App via my HiFi systems Smiley Very Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @OILCAN

Sorry Schnapps

I misread your post, I interpreted what you said as "using a remote control with your Chromecast", but you meant using the Now TV remote controller on your Now TV box, that now makes sense  Smiley Very Happy  and all is right with the world again Smiley Very Happy

I'm now at that age where everything has to be spelt out clearly for me.Old Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

I just re read my first post and can see how it could have confused people, where i should have made it more clearer and said that i didn't like using my mobile device screen has a type of remote controller and preferred using a bog standard remote such as a nowtv remote controller with their nowtv box or stick.

Sorry about the confusion, i think @OILCAN got the drift on what i was talking about.