cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV Stick Reviews

If this Topic allowed on here , I think NOW TV Customers should let NOW TV Team know there reviews about Smart Stick.
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Think I might have just been lucky.

When I tried using the USB port on the TV and turned the TV off I thought this might turn the stick off but it doesnt. If you get the TV remote and turn the TV back on straight away the NowTV menu is where you left it, ie if I am watching sky sports, turn it off with the NowTV remote, TV goes off, turn TV back on, Sky Sports still on. TV doesnt have a power off/on just Standby.

Just dont get why NOWTV didnt offer an OFF function or standby.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Surprised your TV doesn't have a physical on /off button, where all the televisions I have come across have some sort of switch (modern TV's tend to have a small micro switch either on the back, side or on the bottom of the TV).

Anyway, I have just checked my Roku Stick Plus and on my TV when going into standby mode on the television by pressing the TV remote, after a short period of time the stick powers off (the white power light goes from permanently on to flashing then to off).

Would have assumed the smart stick would behave the same as my Roku stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Surprised your TV doesn't have a physical on /off button, where all the televisions I have come across have some sort of switch (modern TV's tend to have a small micro switch either on the back, side or on the bottom of the TV).

Anyway, I have just checked my Roku Stick Plus and on my TV when going into standby mode on the television by pressing the TV remote, after a short period of time the stick powers off (the white power light goes from permanently on to flashing then to off).

Would have assumed the smart stick would behave the same as my Roku stick. 

Its a cheap LG 28" TV no it doesnt have one. I've also got a Panasonic 24" which also doesnt have an on/off switch and before the LG I had a Hitachi which also didnt have a power switch. Had a few.

Miketurn
Scholar 3

I'm glad to hear that the stick doesn't turn off as I currently have the Smart Box (with Freeview) and I absolutely hate it when it switches off after only a couple of minutes.

Sometimes I'll pause the box to switch to another HDMI port to set something up, or quickly watch the news etc, and by the time I turn back the Now box is off, and I have to restart and go through the whole palaver of getting back to where I was.

The stick should suit me far better in this regard, as I only really got the Smart box for the pause facility, which the stick also has. Presumably it will run much cooler than the 'hotplate' Smart box too.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Miketurn The stick does run quite hot at times, particularly if it's tucked away somewhere with limited air flow eg a wall mounted TV but it's designed for that and in the unlikely event it will warn you on screen if it does start to overheat so you can take action. It's recommended if it's in a really tight position that you get a little HDMI extender cable to allow you to move it into a better positon.

@Anonymous User If it's a particular nuisance to you, you might want to look at getting a manual HDMI splitter instead and then you won't have the bother of the stick not releasing the stream. You can also get splitters with little remotes if it's in a hard to reach place, however check reviews first as I recall someone on the forum with a 'remote control' splitter that also wouldn't switch with the NOW TV box. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User If it's a particular nuisance to you, you might want to look at getting a manual HDMI splitter instead and then you won't have the bother of the stick not releasing the stream. You can also get splitters with little remotes if it's in a hard to reach place, however check reviews first as I recall someone on the forum with a 'remote control' splitter that also wouldn't switch with the NOW TV box. 

Thats what I was using a manual HDMI (with a button) that also had auto switching function. Its for my kids to use also so I need the simplest solution possible. I`m going to get one with a remote today that should solve my problem. ref the above you mentioned "splitter", are you sure they said splitter because thats different to a "switcher".

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah sorry I just use the terms interchangeably colloquially but you're probably right I should use switcher. I would have imagine the 'mechanical' ones are the most reliable as the powered ones with auto switching don't always cope well with the stick constantly transmitting video. Sounds like you know what you're doing though, as long as you buy from somewhere with no quibbles about taking it back if it doesn't do the job. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User Yeah sorry I just use the terms interchangeably colloquially but you're probably right I should use switcher. I would have imagine the 'mechanical' ones are the most reliable as the powered ones with auto switching don't always cope well with the stick constantly transmitting video. Sounds like you know what you're doing though, as long as you buy from somewhere with no quibbles about taking it back if it doesn't do the job. Good luck!

Yeah picked up a OneforAll HDMI Switcher with remote from Argos and it works a treat. Ordered some short HDMI cables so I can remove some of the jungle behind the TV. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Good to know you found something suitable. When you get an odd moment if you could post the Argos item number might be of interest to other users. Enjoy!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User Good to know you found something suitable. When you get an odd moment if you could post the Argos item number might be of interest to other users. Enjoy!

its 816/3293 One for All SV1630 3 Port HDMI Switcher £21.99

I had a £15 Argos voucher so didnt cost me that much.