cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV Stick Reviews

If this Topic allowed on here , I think NOW TV Customers should let NOW TV Team know there reviews about Smart Stick.
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous User
Not applicable

..or like the flexible HDMI extender that Amazon provide included with the Fire TV Stick.

Now Tv know this might pose a problem for some; stating the caveat that "Minimum clearance of 10cm (l) x 3cm (h) x 2cm (w) required to connect stick.", on their sales pitch page: https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I am fortunate in that my HDMI ports are on rear so it doesn't stick out the side on mine.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've only just ordered one today but will add a review after some use. 

I currently use the app via my LGTV so I am hoping for a snappier interface and perhaps even some picture quality improvements on fast moving images like sport. The pause functionality will come in handy as well. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine has arrived.

Just a quick note for anyone thinking of buying the £14.99 version direct from NOW TV, it deosn't have a Sky Store voucher in it, well, mine doesn't!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had one since Saturday. I was previously using the app on a 2013 LG tv which I found frustratingly slow, sometimes taking up to a minute from switching on the TV to being able to watch something after navigating numerous menus and waiting for apps to load. It would then take another 30 seconds before the quality improved.

The now TV stick by contrast is fast, responsive and much easier to use. I've never used any of the now TV boxes, so I can't compare to them, but I particularly like the dedicated app buttons on the remote. It allows my 3yo to get to the kids stuff with one button. I also like the fact that if I just press the power button to turn it on, it goes straight back to playing whatever I was watching before, whether a live stream or an on demand programme.

The only problem I have had with it so far is: It occasionally apps playing any content with the error: "something's not right". I have to restart the device to get it working again. It's done this 3 times in the 5 days I've had it. Hopefully it's something that will be fixed in a firmware update.

Something I have noticed is that even though the audio settings for the stick are set to Dolby digital+, I only get pcm. I'm assuming that this is because the sky streams are only in pcm. Hopefully this is something that will be upgraded in the future, maybe when the video stream gets upgraded 1080p.

Overall I've been very impressed.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Currently the nowtv service is only in 2 channel stereo (at the moment nobody knows if 5.1 surround sound will be added when the 1080p option eventually arrives later in the year).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268,@schnapps
Hi. Need some advice if I bought another Smart Stick can I use one remote for both or can’t do that plus if remote was faulty or damaged how do you get it replaced or would @Karl-F know these things.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wroteif I bought another Smart Stick can I use one remote for both or can’t do that plus if remote was faulty or damaged how do you get it replaced 

@Anonymous User Remotes are paired with the stick during setup and will then only control that stick, so one remote can't be used to control two sticks at the same time. You can unpair remotes and sticks to pair the remote with a different stick but it's not something you'd want to be doing every day. 

If the remote is faulty you could get a repair or replacement under warranty, you'd need to take it back to the retailer you bought it from or if you got it from NOW TV direct get in touch with them here

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch

Sky Accessories are not currently selling replacement stick remotes on their own, nkt sure if they will be selling them in the future.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got my stick. Paid £14.99 and I was very surprised to see a Sky Cinema Month Pass and a free Sky Movie Rental. I selected the one without pass too ! My TV in the dining room only has one HDMI which is a bit of an oversight when I bought it last year. So I bought a cheap HDMI switcher off Amazon. One thing that never changes with NowTV is you cant turn the device off. Always annoys me. I wish you could turn off the box with the on/off button. Anyway I plugged it in and went through the setup and also paired my TV remote. Although I wish I hadnt because the way I have it set now will confuse the kids with the HDMI switcher as its not auto switching due to the NOWTV constanlty on and unfortunately there is no option to stop pairing the TV remote !

I need some shorter HDMI cables too and when I was trying to adjust the cabling I touched the stick and it was very hot. I was quite alarmed at how warm this thing gets to the touch. I've repositioned it so its kind of "Hanging in mid air" suspended by my too long HDMI cables (need some shorter ones) and it has cooled a little but to me its way too warm.

The menu system etc is about the same speed and responsiveness as my Smart TV Box however it has locked up a few times when I have switched it on. I get all the way to the Home page, get no thumbnails and it says connecting..... at the top for a 1 minute or so then this disappears and the remote does nothing. Its happened 3 times now. I even tried after the 2nd time using the PSU but then it still did it after I switched it on for the 3rd time.

My original idea was to use this when I go away somewhere it will be pretty convenient to use it, ie last year went to friends down south and took my small black box with me to watch a footy match and this would have been more convenient. Other than that I dont really see the point of it apart from its easier to hide. I just wish you could turn it off.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Seems like you got lucky there with the smart stick with the bundled 1 month cinema pass, where it sounds to me that either the picker in the warehouse selected the wrong package or they didn't have the £15 standalone stick in stock and gave you one with a bundled pass instead.

Out of curisoity are you using the power off the TV USB port for the smart stick, where I would assume if you switched the power off via the main TV on/off button (not standby) it should in theory kill the power to the smart stick,