cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mini USB cable

I bought the new Now TV stick today , I have a Roku stick at present which I have a mini USB cable to power it from the TV ,

my question is   Am I right in thinking  that I can use the Mini USB cable that I have for my Roku stick to power up my  new Now TV stick ?

or do I need to buy a different type of USB cable for the new Now stick.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Having just double checked the NOW TV stick uses a micro-USB cable not mini-USB, so if your old Roku stick used mini-USB (I'm not sure which it used) then you'll need to stick with the cable that came with the NOW TV  stick instead.

Easy enough to check - if the cable fits the NOW TV Stick you can use it, if not you can't.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The stick should have included a mini-USB cable in the box but yes you should be able to use the one that powered your Roku. I wouldn't mix the power adapters though if you decide to connect to mains instead of powering via the TV USB port.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy, it came with the long lead that connects to the plug that goes into mains but no Mini cable

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The cable that came with the stick can be used for connecting to the TV USB port as well, they've just made it especially long for those that use the adapter. However if the cable from your Roku stick is a more sensible size then there should be no problems using that instead.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Having just double checked the NOW TV stick uses a micro-USB cable not mini-USB, so if your old Roku stick used mini-USB (I'm not sure which it used) then you'll need to stick with the cable that came with the NOW TV  stick instead.

Easy enough to check - if the cable fits the NOW TV Stick you can use it, if not you can't.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy , I didn’t realise that you can use the same cable for both, I will probably give the one I have for the Roku a try as it’s so much shorter. 

I will be installing it tomorrow.

Thanks again Andy for your very quick reply 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah any micro-USB to USB cable will be fine, if it fits the stick it's OK to use. Setting up the stick should be pretty straightforward, just follow all the on-screen prompts but there's a guide here if you need it

https://help.nowtv.com/article/set-up-your-now-tv-smart-stick

Hope you enjoy the stick!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Andy that’s brilliant, many thanks for your help

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy, just to give you an update,

I fitted the new Now stick today and I’m impressed with the speed of it compared to my Roku stick .

The USB cable I had with the Roku fits the Now stick so I have it connected with an out of sight short cable so I’m happy about that.

The only puzzling thing though is My Roku specs say connected with a Mini USB cable and the

Now stick says connected with a Micro USB cable but as I say the one cable fits both so I don’t 

know if the cable is classed as Mini or Micro , I would guess it’s more classed as a Micro as the end of the fitting is very small and would be surprised if you could get them any smaller.

Anyway I’m up and running and so far very pleased with it ,

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User That's great, thanks for letting me know. Just for your own interest there's a diagram here if you want to see the difference between the mini- and micro-USB connections, but great to hear your old Roku stick was a micro- as well so you can use the shorter cable, the one provided with the NOW TV stick is a bit of a monster but I suppose it's handy for those using the power adapter to make sure it reaches the socket. 

MINI_MICRO.jpg

Anyway hope you enjoy the new stick!