cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to password protect smart stick

So I was just sitting casually watching a box set on TV minding my own business and suddenly my program went off and YouTube popped up instead, it was a video of a nice Irish man chatting about recovering from hair transplants. 

As informative as the video is I have no interest in learning about such things as I have a full head of home grown hair .

However my housemate recently had a hair transplant so it was not difficult to figure out who was watching such a video.

I hollered down to him and asked why he's casting YouTube videos to my T.V. and he said he didn't.  He's a bit of an idiot so I highly suspect he did it and doesn't even know he did it. We share a Wi-Fi network what with us living together and all.

Can I put a password on or something so he can't cast on to the YouTube app on my smart stick? Excuse me if this is a stupid question but I guess he's not the only idiot in the house. 

Also I'm assuming he could only do it because we are on the same Wi-Fi? If the old lady next door suddenly discovers YouTube then she's not going to start accidentally playing her videos on my smart stick?

TLDR: can I stop other people casting on to the apps on my smart stick? 

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You could try going into the NowTV stick menu settings then select Systems, then select Advanced System Settings, then select Control by Mobile Apps, then see if selecting Disabled blocks the YouTube casting from another mobile device.

Never tried this setting before, where it may work blocking mobile devices communicating with the NowTV stick.

Obviously you won't be able to cast yourself onto the stick with your mobile phone or use the Roku Remote App on your phone when the Control Mobile Apps setting on the stick is set to Disabled, where you would have to manually change back again to Default switch mode should you ever want to use these mobile features with the stick.

RoyB
Legend

TLDR: can I stop other people casting on to the apps on my smart stick? 

Are you sure it was cast to your stick, and not to the YouTube app (if any) on your TV?

This is a potentially annoying thing called the DIAL protocol and here is a thread about it on the YouView Community.

The inflicter and the victim do have to be on the same WiFi network, you will perhaps be relieved to know.

Given what it is, and how to operate it, as described in the YouView thread, it would be interesting to know if it was indeed thrown to your Stick, and not to the TV; and if so, whether what @schnapps describes successfully counters it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.