cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to connect a NOw TV stick to a wired ethernet connection

Hi there,

So the wifi reception in my room is just shockingly bad, which means that in order for me to get internet with a decent broadband speed I have to use a HomePlug adaptor - which basically runs the ethernet through the electricity cables in my house. So I have a HDMI input at the back of my TV that I can plug the Now TV stick into, and I have a ethernet cable coming from an adaptor that's plugged int a mains socket in my wall. Now I think a UGREEN Ethernet Adaptor for Chromecast would do the trick  to connect the stick to both a power point and the ethernet cable - the ad said it's compatible with a Fire stick - but I just want to be sure that it's compatible with the Now TV stick before I buy one. Has anyone ever used a set up like this? 

cheers

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You need an ethernet cable adapter they're on ebay for around £7.99 advertised for firestick

Ethernet cable goes into adapter, adapter is powered, lead comes of adapter which is a mini hdmi or whatever they're called that fits into the nowtv sticks and most mobiles.. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Hi People

I'm not a Now TV Stick user but I thought that the stick was a wi-fi only Internet  TV streaming device, I do not recall it saying anywhere that you can connect an Ethernet cable to it.

Not only that, to compare the Now TV stick to the Amazon Fire TV Stick is a mistake, just because they look similar that does not mean they have the same working parameters. 

Check out this URL and see if the specs are what you expect:

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick#ib-section-section-4

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As per other answers - do not listen to this guy. I (admittedly in a hurry) read his answer and immediately ordered the adapters (which was more like £14). It isn’t for use with Now TV sticks. Complete waste of time - cheers. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The best course of action is to purcahse an Amazon Fire Stick. Much more reliable than the Now TV Stick and best of all you can get a Ethernet adapter for the Fire stick. 

In no shape or form do ethenet adapters work with Roku devices (this includes Now TV devices)

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers gavs82208,

I might end up doing that yeah. Slightly complicated situation (by my own doing) - I've currently got a now TV stick which I'm happy with, but i want to get a blink camera on my kitchen tv, so i have actually ordered a fire stick as I've read i can get the Blink to stream through that (hopefully!). So my plan was to use my Now tv stick in the bedroom upstairs but the wifi isn't good enough to reach it. I could extend the wifi but a) don't really want to and b) when i refurbished the house i put in data/ tv points in all the rooms for this purpose. I wanted to get a Now tv box but they no longer have ethernet connections it seems! I don't know why because although wireless is often advantageous, streaming 4k TV on a fixed display isn't really.. So yeah, may just end up getting another Fire stick assuming i like the one that shows up (don't see why i won't!). Suppose the means I can keep the adapter i've ordered. Just got a redundant Now tv stick now and another 30 odd quid for another fire stick - meh. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

According to the manufacturer the Ugreen adaptor WILL NOT work with a Now TV stick other than to power it. That would no doubt be due to limits in the hardware of the Now TV stick.

You could use a wifi extender, most have the option to take a LAN input (access point mode) that would provide a strong wifi locally for the stick.

If on a budget an old bt hub can be configured to work as an access point.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should add, the Now TV stick has dual band wifi and if you ensure your hub/access point can provide the higher 5GHz band it will have a faster connection.