cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hot stick broke my tv!

I picked up a stick for free whilst in Alton towers at the weekend having signed up for a free trial- and I absolutely love it! After having Netflix for so many years the change is refreshing and the movies are great. My plan was to continue my subscription except that last night- my TV died!!!

i was watching a programme then nothing! Tv turned off, and the stick was very hot. Changed the fuse in the plug etc and my tv is officially dead! 

I have absolutely no ide what to do from here- I cant see now tv replacing my set am absolutely gutted 😢😢

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi Welcome the The Fourm.

So Sorry to hear this, we would like to be able to help, but to be honest im not too sure here on community how we can help with this, have you got in touch with our customer service team?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So the main reason for not helping me is that I received the stick off a 3rd party and not directly via their website-  these were actually official now tv reps promoting their product Alton towers not some ransoms person selling a dodgy knock off- it’s their stick made in the same factory. It’s being forwarded as an ‘official conplaint’ But not holding my breath.

I’d just like to maybe put out a warning to other people to really keep a check on the temperature, I read it should show an overheating warning and mine did not. My tv is dead, I’ve tried changing the fuse but it’s internal damage. Gutted. Be careful people! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this has happened to me now. Used my stick yesterday for the first time (bought from Now TV). Thought it was was strange that when turning the Now TV stick off via the remote also turned off the TV was strange. Now it won’t work at all. Changed my fuse as well. Hoping warranty covers it but really disappointed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Just to say the button on remote is the standby button to turn TV off and not to just turn of the now stick , the remote is parred with the tv so even the volume control will work when not watching now tv.

Dont know why your TV won’t restart because of pressing this button though, probably a coincidence 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's right. All modern devices interconnect via something called HDMI CEC, which means that when you power up/ power down a device it will also do the same for connected tv's and soundbars etc. Whatever the issue with th tv itself, it won't be anymore likely to have been caused by the Now Tv stick than it would be for a sky box, PlayStation, Xbox or any other device connected to your tv.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yeah, I’m sure you’re both right. Just a bit disappointed that it’s happened, thought I may have found a reason. Thanks for the replies!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Oh no! Sorry to hear this has happened to you too.
I had an online chat with an advisor and got no where at all, they offered
me a new stick! Laughable. I unfortunately don’t have a warrently on my tv
but I hope yours gets sorted ( maybe don’t tell them you think it was the
stick as that may void it) I remember saying to the advisor this may be the
first of many and it may just well be. I’d say it’s worth putting in a
complaint but I didn’t get an email from them like I was told I would and
nothings come of mine. Not been able to afford to replace my tv yet 😣
Best of luck