cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone got a Smart Stick to work reliably?

Getting extremely frustrated with a Smart Stick we got for my father in law to watch Now TV in his nursing home.

initially found picture quality to be unwatchable despite broadband connection reliably measuring 8-10 Mbps download and ping time of 75msec to test server. Broadband is dedicated circuit for him, so isnt load issue from other users.

Today found that if power has been removed from either the TV, powering the stick,or the WiFi router then smart stick won’t reconnect to WiFi. Router is only feet away from smart stick and is in 5GHz with no interfering channels.

starting to wonder if this service isn’t just a huge con.

2 REPLIES 2
nowswaish
Scholar 3

I have a Now stick in the kitchen connected to a 24 inch Samsung TV, it’s powered from the adapter supplied. No problems with picture quality or loosin WiFi but on the other hand I don’t have a requirement to switch it off at the mains. We did have a power cut a couple of days ago though and it worked afterwards with no problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

two things to check: 

1. If it's shared WiFi in a nursing home are they allowed to use streaming ? A lot of shared Wifi set ups do not allow this since it ultimatly goes back to one broadband connection. Maybe you could invetigte iPlayer or using the mobile app that allows content to be downloaded first ?
  2. if you are using the USB on the TV then check that that it is not the older 500mA output you are supposed to have 1A so use the adapter supplied if possible.

I've got 3 Sticks now and never had any problems really.