cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HDMI Switching

Hi there, 

I have just bought a Now TV Stick and generally am very happy with it. However, as part of my setup, my TV has 2x hdmi inputs, and now with this I have 3x devices to plug into it. So I bought an auto switching unit. This requires the 2 items that plug into it to turn on and off to enable the switch to work. My DVD player works fine, but the stick doesn't seem to be able to turn off. My remote has an on / off button but it does nothing. Has anybody else had this issue and is there a solution to this problem apart from plugging the Stick directly into the TV and have the other 2 items connected through the switch. 

Many thanks 

And happy Easter / Holls to you all.

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The on/off button towards the top of the smart remote is designed to switch your TV into standy and switch the TV from stanby back to on (where this button is not intended or will not work for switching the nowtv stick on or off).

The only ways to switch off the stick is to either unplug it from the electrical mains or if you use the USB port (1A 5V DC) on your television (assuming your TV has an USB port) then when you put the television into stanby mode it should drop the power to the stick.

If your TV has a 1A USB port, then you could run the power off the stick from your TV and if you wish leave the stick still connected on your HDMI Hub switcher.

RoyB
Legend

My upstairs NowTV Stick is powered via a USB port on the TV, and so turns on and off with the TV, as the USB port is not powered when the TV is not On - even if the TV is left in Standby.

But the downstairs one is powered off a wallwart, and indeed stays on permanently.

But @Anonymous User has the only solution I can see - give the Stick its own HDMI input, and have the other two  devices share the HDMI switcher.

Because even if the Stick is powered off the USB, say you wanted to watch the other device on an HDMI switch it is sharing. You can turn off the TV to kill the Stick; but when you turn it on again to watch the other device, the Stick powers up and grabs the switch, and thus the port again.

Using a manual HDMI switch is a possibility if the button is easily accessible, and if you don’t switch so often that getting up to change it occasionally isn’t too much of a faff.

But I think @Anonymous User @has the best solution, as long as the other two devices play nice with each other, and can be switched off when not wanted.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.