cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HDCP unauthorised

Hi, I recently bought a smart stick and setting up was fine. When it got to the point of loading the TV guide, etc., the screen suddenly went purple with 'HDCP unauthorised' message. I've unplugged everything and restarted several times, but it keeps happening.

I have had a Now TV box for a couple of years which has always worked fine. The problem with the stick is that it is too long to fit straight into the back of the monitor (it isn't a TV, as such, just a large monitor with HDMI port) so I have bought a HDMI splitter and connected this to the monitor with an old HDMI cable that I already had.

I'm not sure if the problem could be with the cable, splitter or monitor. Anybody have any ideas, please?

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like a HDCP issue between your monitor and the new smart stick. 

What happens if you factory reset the stick by holding the reset button on the stick for 6 seconds and when going through the set up procedure when asked about your Display TV setting instead of Auto select 720p to see if that gets rid of the HDCP on screen message. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Schnapps, thank you for your help

I haven't tried a factory reset, but I did go through the settings and manually change the TV Display setting between the two that are available and also the auto. The bit that puzzles me the most is when going through the setup, it ticked the HDCP to say that it was ok and the Now box has always been fine, but then I guess the stick works differently.

I will try again with a factory reset, though, thank you.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I get the HDCP message on my nowtv device now and again and usually instead of me unplugging the device from the HDMI cable or switching it off at the power mains, i go into the device settings and under systems, there is an option under Power to do a system restart which saves me from getting off the sofa.

Might not work for you because your HDCP message seems to be more consistent than random.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, Schnapps. Think I might try the factory reset that you suggested, see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll try a couple of restarts to see if that clears anything. If they all fail, I might go down the road of getting a new HDMI extender, just in case it's the splitter.

I forgot mention that I've also tried the stick on another TV, but had to use the cable and splitter for that as well as the stick was too long, but that TV didn't even pick up the device.

I'm a little reluctant to give up on it just yet and hoping to find a solution.