cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noeyedeer
Scholar 2

Getting annoyed with the multi-coloured glitches

It's been happening for years now, but today it's been ridiculous. 

During streaming, the picture suddenly goes to all multi-coloured blocks on the screen. Sometimes it's a screen of all green blocks. It's not buffering, because the audio is uninterrupted. Usually it's only a few times during a football match etc, but sometimes it just keeps doing it every minute or so. It doesn't happen with any other streaming services and it's not a faulty stick because it happens with the stick, the black box and even spare black boxes i have.

Anybody know what the heck this problem is and what causes it? It happens on two different tv's, one is right next to the wifi hub, so it's clearly not an issue with the tv's, hdmi cables or wifi signal. Could it be something my router and now tv don't see eye to eye on, or is it just a problem at Sky's end that they never fix?

1 REPLY 1
RoyB
Legend

@noeyedeer 

This is the device on the very edge of buffering, when the bitrate drops so low that it can only sustain video by reducing the resolution, and the block artefacts are the result of this.

I doubt the issue is universal, or we would have many more complaints of it, so it’s downstream of Sky, I would think.

Who is your ISP? Using Ookla or similar, what  are your internet download and upload speeds?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.