cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenturn
Scholar 2

Errors!

I've just got the new stick, but when I press the 'My TV' button on the remote it just says 'Ooops something went wrong.

It's the same when I press the Now TV shortcut in 'Best of catchup' or try direct from the TV Guide.

The only way I can get in is to go down to 'My Apps' and select 'Now TV' from there.

I miss having a direct 'Now TV' button on the remote that would enable me to bypass all these non working shortcuts!

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @lenturn

What happens if you factory reset the smart stick, does the shortcut buttons still flag up the error ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-tv-box-stick

lenturn
Scholar 2

Hi @schnapps 

I only unpacked it and set it up this morning!

Surely wouldn't need resetting already?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @lenturn

Sometimes a factory reset fixes issues, the smart stick might have got corrupted when initially setting up and downloading any newer software or apps.

Also try a forced software update on the stick, even if you are on the same software version by following step 6 on this help guide.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-steps-for-the-Roku-player

lenturn
Scholar 2

Hi @schnapps . I've worked out and solved the problem.

If you go into 'Settings' - 'System' - 'Advanced System Settings' - 'External Control' - 'Network Access' and set it to 'Disabled', it causes these errors for some odd reason.

Setting it back to 'Default' has resolved this issue. I originally set it to 'Disabled' as I don't use the Roku Mobile App.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lenturn That's actually a very good point you've made there. All those tiles on the homescreen lead directly to specific content in an app and as far as I know they rely on deeplinking to pinpoint exactly where the content is referenced in the app to display them correctly. The same applies to the My TV/Kids buttons which call specific parts of the NOW TV interface. 

I wonder if there's a bit of a bug in the new firmware on the NOW TV devices as turning off external control on the black box causes the same issue, but on the Roku there's no problem.  

If it's not a bug then NOW TV need to think about removing that option as the whole 'homescreen' interface relies on the deeplinks working. I'll tag @Karl-F from the NOW TV Team as that definitely needs thinking about. 

In the meantime don't worry about having external control enabled - whilst it sounds like it might be a security risk only LAN devices can make use of it, and it also has other benefits such as allowing apps to cast to the box (eg YouTube).