cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you use a Now box to login to hotel wifi?

If I use my Smart Stick in a hotel does this use your phone data in order to use it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User If you're able to connect it directly to the hotel wifi network (the sort that doesn't need any additional authentication) or you use the Hotel and Dorm feature to connect your stick to a hotel wifi that needs you to enter details into a webpage before allowing access,  then no mobile data will be used by the stick (the stick only uses your phone to authenticate with the hotel wifi connection, because it's not able to do it on its own). Just follow the steps here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/use-now-tv-device-in-hotel-or-student-accommodation

The stick will only eat into your phone's mobile data if you set up a personal hotspot on your phone using it's mobile data connection and then connect the stick to that personal hotspot. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User If you're able to connect it directly to the hotel wifi network (the sort that doesn't need any additional authentication) or you use the Hotel and Dorm feature to connect your stick to a hotel wifi that needs you to enter details into a webpage before allowing access,  then no mobile data will be used by the stick (the stick only uses your phone to authenticate with the hotel wifi connection, because it's not able to do it on its own). Just follow the steps here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/use-now-tv-device-in-hotel-or-student-accommodation

The stick will only eat into your phone's mobile data if you set up a personal hotspot on your phone using it's mobile data connection and then connect the stick to that personal hotspot. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nice one mate. The hotel I usually stay in has an open wifi so should be pretty straight forward

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I live in apartments where the wifi is shared and you have to login after you've connected. I followed the instructions but no message came up. The box just connects to the wifi successfully but then shows an error message when I try to watch any streaming channels. Any ideas?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Do you have a NOW TV stick or NOW TV black box (small square shape)? The hotel and dorm feature isn't available on the white box or the larger Smart Box (with built in Freeview tuner).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah that'll be why then. I've got the larger black box with freeview tuner.