cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can the now tv smart stick work if my HDMI port is at the back of my tv

Hi I need a bit of help, I’m thinking of upgrading my now tv box to a stick but my hdmi port isn’t on the side of my telly but at the back. Will it still work for me? 
Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Difficult answer to say one hundred percent, where it depends on the wifi signal reception coverage from behind where your television is located in your home.

You could try temporarily placing the box behind the back of your television and use the free Roku Remote Controller App on your smartphone or tablet instead of your remote just has an experiment exercise.

Or you could see what the wifi signal is like when placing your smartphone behind the television or use a wifi signal checker App.

Though this will not fully prove the stick will work sufficiently because each device uses different inbuilt wifi antenna 's where one antenna might be more sensitive than the other.

Just buy the stick from a Retailer that offers a no quibble returns policy and if the stick doesn't work to your satisfaction send it back.

NowTV also suggests using a small HDMI fly extension lead to move the stick slightly further off the back of the television casing if the stick loses its internet connection (though again there is no guarantee it will help).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Difficult answer to say one hundred percent, where it depends on the wifi signal reception coverage from behind where your television is located in your home.

You could try temporarily placing the box behind the back of your television and use the free Roku Remote Controller App on your smartphone or tablet instead of your remote just has an experiment exercise.

Or you could see what the wifi signal is like when placing your smartphone behind the television or use a wifi signal checker App.

Though this will not fully prove the stick will work sufficiently because each device uses different inbuilt wifi antenna 's where one antenna might be more sensitive than the other.

Just buy the stick from a Retailer that offers a no quibble returns policy and if the stick doesn't work to your satisfaction send it back.

NowTV also suggests using a small HDMI fly extension lead to move the stick slightly further off the back of the television casing if the stick loses its internet connection (though again there is no guarantee it will help).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps  
thank you for your reply. 
I will look into the returns idea but I might just need to upgrade my tv. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am hoping you are not looking to replace your existing television on the back of it doesn't have a side facing HDMI port.

I doubt plugging the NowTV stick in a side HDMI port rather than a port on the back of a television will make a massive difference (perhaps a slight improvement with the wifi signal).

If you are looking to upgrade your old nowtv box, then if there is any Boxing Day Sales Bargains floating around then maybe look at the NowTV 4K Smart box or if you like the idea of plugging in a stick type dongle then maybe consider the Roku Stick Plus with the external wifi booster antenna on it.

I own both devices and they do a superb job in my home setup.

Or if you are looking to treat yourself to a new television and you are a heavy nowtv user then maybe consider either a Samsung, LG Smart TV with the inbuilt NowTV App or perhaps the new Hisense Roku Smart TV.

I don't own any of these brands so i can't vouch for them, where PQ & SQ is more important to me than a television smart platform that covers all necessary Apps on it.

If practically possible i would always use hard wired Ethernet over wifi when streaming over the internet which gives a more stable and reliable connection.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You could also use a long extension lead (HDMI male to female) to put the stick pretty much where you like.

I have found the problem with connecting to the back of a TV is that if it is wall-mounted, there may not be clearance for a long Stick, from NowTV or anybody else, and an HDMI fly-lead is essential.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't speak for the Now TV Stick as I don't have one.  However, FWIW, I have an Amazon Firestick 4K and it works perfectly when plugged into an HDMI port on the back of my smart TV set.

Wlat