cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't set up the device without creating account and providing credit card details

Hello,

I recently purchased a NOW TV Smart Stick. However I am very dissatisfied.

I purchased this product so that I can watch the Freeview channels such as BBC iPlayer, itv hub and Youtube. The packaging on the box clearly states “Watch amazing entertainment. No contract. No hidden fees.” However in order to set up the device it keeps insisting I create and account with NOW TV and provide credit card details.

I have spent sometime on NOW TV’s help pages to find out that it's not possible to set up the box without a NOW TV account, and it's not possible to sign up for an account without giving card details.

I do not want to sign up for a NOW TV account and provide my credit card details. The packaging clearly states “No contract. No hidden fees.” Which is misleading and incorrect.

Please help.

Thank you.

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Whilst you have to create an account to use the Now TV stick, you also must create an account when using a Roku stick. 

The main differences with Roku and Now TV is that Now TV stick is Sky owned and will have a handful of apps in comparison to the Roku stick despite being the same device more or less. 

Creating a Now TV account certainly does not main you are instantly purchasing a pass in any shape of form. 

So the “No contract. No hidden fees.” is in this case spot on, it is your choice to buy a pass and IF you do there is no contact or any other fees. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you but I think you missed my point.

It's not possible to set up the box without a NOW TV account, and it's not possible to sign up for an account without giving card details. I can't go any further with setting up the unit until I sign up for a trial period and provide credit card details.

I do not want to provide my credit card details for services I don't want. The packaging clearly states “No contract. No hidden fees.” If no contract is required why do I have to sign up for a trial account and provide credit card details?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As far as Now TV is concerned if you purchase a Now TV Stick they fully expect you to be a Now TV subscriber, so they have set up the device in such a way you much sign up to a free trial of some sort. 

So if you "subscribe" to the free trial, make sure you cancel it straight away, you will then get the device set up. 

Failing that, you can return the device and I would highly  recommend purchasing a Roku stick. Much more reliable device in my opinion. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help