cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anyone Else Had Remote Stop Working And/Or Flickering Issues?

Hi, I wanted to post a poll but I'm not sure how to do that. Anyway, I am on my second Now TV device and this is the second time I have experienced the remote stop working/responding and also the issue where the screen flickers on and off when in 1080p mode despite having worked fine previously.

How many other people have experienced these issues? Is it a regular thing with Now TV devices and has anyone experienced anything similar with other Roku devices?

I have done a live chat with NTV this morning and they have ordered me a third smart stick now but if this keeps happening then surely there's something wrong with the devices themselves?

I'm thinking of getting a Chromecast so I can just stream NTV from my smartphone or iPad and it might work better, either that or an Apple TV.

It would be interesting to see how many people this is effecting and maybe Now TV might look into it and do something about it.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My remote has stopped working too, tried pairing it and resetting the stick but nothing! Thought it was just me but obviously not!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has happened to me on the old Now TV box and 2 different sticks. The last stick I got from Now TV (as a replacement) now won't stream in 1080p, only 720p otherwise the screen just keeps flickering on and off if I select 1080p.

I've come to the conclusion that the Roku devices that Now TV use are rubbish and you're better off finding an alternate way of getting Now TV if possible.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Perhaps the NowTV devices don't play nice with your television when set to 1080p ?

Out of curiosity did you try any of the NowTV devices on a different television and what is the make and model number of your television ?

I have used all incarnations of the branded NowTV & Roku players and on my various Panasonic televisions they have all worked fine with no flickering picture issues.

The newer NowTV smart remote though is a different story and now & again it doesn't respond with my the NowTV 4K smart box or stick even though the batteries have plenty of charge left in them.

Where i find removing the batteries from the remote and re insert them again seems to do the trick for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a Samsung UE48H6400 smart TV. The issue isn't with my TV as at some stage the devices have worked fine in 1080p, it's just suddenly they decide not to. I haven't been able to test on another TV as I only have one and I'm not going round to friends houses to mess about testing on various TV's to find the right combination. If there are issues with certains makes or models of TV then Now TV should show which ones do and don't work on their website. I have read the argument that the device only works on certain models after a certain year in 1080p but as I have said, it used to work in 1080p but now doesn't. I have tried updating it and different HDMI ports but still get the same result.

As for the remote, I have tried changing the batteries and this made no difference. Sometimes I get lucky and the remote will play nice for a while but then suddenly stop responding. I have had 2 new smart sticks and had similar problems with both of them. I have just learned to live with it but don't hold out much hope for the longevity of either the smart stick or the remote.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Strangely enough my Dad has the same model Samsung TV apart from it's the smaller 40 inch version.

My Dad uses the generation 2 NowTV Black Box and over hard wired Ethernet where the TV can accept a 1080p signal from the box with no problems.

Never tried the NowTV stick on my Dad's Samsung TV because he is totally happy using the box over Ethernet and both the box and remote over infra red are steady as a rock with no buffering, drop outs or issues with the remote controller.

There was an issue going back when the NowTV Freeview Smart box was introduced into the market place where a couple of Samsung TV users was reporting flickering problems with the newer version of the box, where the older generation 2 boxes was displaying fine on their same TV's.

From memory the Samsung TV's in question was either the older C or D series and there was only a couple of reported instances of this happening.

I believe this was fixed via a software update.

With regards to forcing 720p from the box or stick this usually is only needed on older HD Ready TV's that couldn't accept a 1080p input signal (obviously this is not the case with your Samsung 1080p television)

When i suggested temporary try the stick on another television to see if the same symptoms persist then i was enquiring if you have another television in your home and wasn't expecting you to take the stick to a friend's house to test.

It sounds like in your case that a recent software update on your stick has corrupted something where your Samsung TV now can't handle or accept a 1080p signal from it.

There also seems to be a few people reporting like yourself a loss of pairing between the stick and smart remote more than the 4K smart box from what i have read on the forum.

Don't know if it is wifi related where the smart remote works over wifi and the stick is more tucked away around the back of the television compared to the 4K smart box which is usually located on a shelf with more free space around it with regards to wifi reception or the inbuilt wifi antenna on the 4K box is better or something else where i don't know the answer.

Maybe the next software update release will fix all your problems with your stick (who knows) ?

If you are not happy with the product you can always return it for a refund and find another means of watching NowTV with a different device platform.

Anyway hope you get it eventually sorted if you are going to keep plugging away using the NowTV stick.