cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

load fan on new now tv smart box

hi i was wondering if its a fault or just the box but when my smart box has been active for some time a fan kicks in but its very very load anyone else have this problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mines the same. Nothing unusual

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi NOWTV Team,

Can this topic be moved into this forums dedicated NOW TV Smart Box sub-section please?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mines the same. Nothing unusual
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

When the inbuilt fan ramps up on my NowTV box when running for a while to be honest it is no louder or quieter than my BT YouView box.

Unless you believe the fan is making some abnormal sound and is faulty, then otherwise you should be fine.

When you say extremely loud are we talking fan loudness like you get from a PC station / Games Consoles or Hair Dryer loud ? 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  my fan doesn't seem loud.  I obviously don't know what you call loud is not loud to me or if some boxes just have louder fans.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Guys

Loudness is definitely subjective but if your electrical kit starts to sound like a hair dryer it could mean one of two things:

1) If your kit is new, within the guarantee period, then something is wrong and you should exchange that faulty equipment while you still can.

2) Your electrical kit has been going for some time but now it sounds like a hair dryer or, worse still, rumbling then the bearings in the fan are starting to wear out and the fan should be replaced.

As an additional bit of info, I find that some fanless kit (such as some routers) work better if a desk fan is constantly blowing air across it.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey,

Had my new Smart box up for a few days and yes having a fan when you are used to it's silent smaller brother but I only notice this when all other equipment is off, I think if you have never had fans kick up before it's loud but when using it I do not even notice...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just setup my box tonight and yes after a bit of live to viewing the fan kicked in. While not overly loud it is a bit distracting and a little whiny. Certainly as loud as the fan in a PS3 but maybe it's because it's lying flat rather than upright like the PS3 but it's certainly more noticeable. The PS3 is just a clean air sound whereas this box has a bit more of a whine(for a better word). 

A disappointment compared to the older silent boxes but of course not comparing like for like anymore. Undecided now whether to keep it or request a refund.