cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

how can I have a NOW TV SMART BOX and a BT freeview box set up on my TV.

Now tv box just arrived and I notice it does not record. I need to record long programs, eg. Formula 1 races.

Is it posible to connect Now Box and BT freeview box on my TV.

If so how? as Now and BT both need aerial/internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I personally wouldn't bother with the YouView NowTV App, where the User Interface (UI) is outdated and needs a refresh imo.

Also the NowTV App on the YouView box only offers "On demand movies" only which is in SD quality Smiley Sad

The NowTV smart box has the latest UI, where it will work with all the passes i.e cinema, entertainment, kids and sports (subject to subscription or vouchers purchased) and the maximum streaming quality is 720p.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The NOW TV Smart Box only needs an aerial connection if you wish to watch Freeview transmissions on it. If you'd rather continue using your BT Freeview box for watching transmissions, simply leave that set up with your aerial and set up the NOW TV box without an aerial connected. It can then still be used for the NOW TV, catch-up and other apps available.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have both a BT YouView box and NowTV smart box connected to my outdoor TV aerial, where like you i use the YouView box for recordings and use the NowTV smart box for live Freeview.

What i have done is connect the incoming TV aerial to RF input on the YouView box and then run a secondary coaxial TV cable from the RF out on the BT YouView box to the TV aerial input socket on the NowTV smart box.

Then go into the YouView box settings and make sure you switch on the RF out feature.

Also make sure that both YouView box and NowTV smart box is connected to separate HDMI ports on your Television Set.

If your YouView box doesn't support RF aerial out, then invest in a TV aerial Y splitter. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you Happy to use the YouView box for watching both the live Freeview channels and for your recordings and just use the NowTV smart box for the internet content off the box, then just follow @Andy post.

My post was a solution if for some reason you wanted to use the Freeview channels from both your YouView box and NowTV smart box (i.e say record two channels off the YouView box and watch a third live Freeview channel on your smart box which you might not be interested in anyway and would be dependent on your TV signal strength reception).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

On Sunday, I will try both solutions, to see which one suits best, I have tried to get Now through the App in Youview box but it will not play TV, although I can get Sky Movies on it.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No worries. I'm not a fan of the Freeview implementation on the NOW TV box, too basic for my liking, but schnapps is an enthusiastic advocate, so best you just give everything a good road test and make your own mind up.

With regards YouView unfortunately it does only offer the movies pass so you will need to use the NOW TV app on the NOW TV box to watch the other passes (pressing the NOW TV button on the remote is the quickest way to open it).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I personally wouldn't bother with the YouView NowTV App, where the User Interface (UI) is outdated and needs a refresh imo.

Also the NowTV App on the YouView box only offers "On demand movies" only which is in SD quality Smiley Sad

The NowTV smart box has the latest UI, where it will work with all the passes i.e cinema, entertainment, kids and sports (subject to subscription or vouchers purchased) and the maximum streaming quality is 720p.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to thank you both for the advice.

NowTV box is working, my BT box is recording, so all is good.

I am still on BT Broadband until the weekend, when the switch to Now TV Broadband takes place.

I hope it all runs smoothly

thanks again

Dave

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use an aerial splitter and therefore have freeview on both devices