cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

blue screen with now tv smart box?

hi

i've had a now tv box for a few months now but have just changed to the combi deal

my router and smart box arrived today so i plugged my smart box in place of my older one

for some reason all i'm getting on our main tv is a blue screen

we also have a ps3 and ps4 plugged into it so i rotated the hdmi's around numerous times and some crazy things were happening...at one point the ps4 was showing on all 3 ports?

i didn't oce get anything but blue screen from now tv so i took the box upstairs and tried it in our daughters single port tv and it worked?

i put our old now tv back n the main tv and everything returned to normal

could this be a faulty box?

all help appreciated

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI @Anonymous User,

Apologies for the late reply.

There's likely nothing wrong with your NOW TV Smart Box. 

There's a technical requirement that the NOW TV Smart Box and your TV perform what's called a "handshake", wherbey they each tell each other they are "HDCP" authorised. More simply, they need to tell each other they are allowed to show copy protected content. Occassionally, a TV may not properly "handshake". What you did was get the NOW TV Smart to "handshake" with another TV and then it was sort of folled into thinkg the other TV was the same.

So congrats, you succesffuly self troubleshooted this on your own 🙂 Well done! 

You may now want to go onto your Channel 4 app and get onto the IT crowd 🙂

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I am experiencing a Blue TV Screen and the Green LED flashes. I do not have a second TV so what can I do? I have switched the Now TV Box on and off with the monitor ans it seeems to make no difference. The Tv works fine on the EXt-2 connection, as well.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. First things first: -

• What's the make and model number of your display device?
  • What things have you already tried to get your NOW TV playback device working again?

Sufficed to say, the more detailed information you are able to provide, the easier it will be for us NOW TV forum members and/or a NOW TV Team member to work out a solution for you!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
First things first Thanks for your quick reply.

The TV is a Technika LCD 26-209

I have done the following :-

1. Power Cycling with and without powering the TV
2. Put in Chrome stick in HDMI port of the TV and it seems to work
3. Used another input to the TV and that works
4. Used my Now App on TV and that seems to work on mobile phone but no picture on TV Screen

Thanking you for your Time.

Best Regards

Graham Crowe
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi again @Anonymous User,

Can you please confirm the make an model of your NOW TV playback device?

The first NOW TV 'white' box looks like this: -

white.png

The second NOW TV 'black' (4200SK - Roku 3) box looks like this: -

black.jpg

And third (newest) NOW TV 'smart' 4500SK - NOW TV) box looks like this: -

product-img-smartbox_v4

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. I’ve just upgraded to a new nowtv box - but I cannot get it to do anything other than show a blue screen - when I re connect the old box it works as it should - I have checked the hdmi cable but nothing is working! Please help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Are you using the std NowTV black box or the smart box with the in built Freeview TV Tuner ?

If you are using the std black box have you tried a factory reset by pushing a pin in the reset hole in the rear of the box until the intial setup screen appears on your TV ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-tv-box

Have you got a second TV in the house to temporary hook up the box and let it go through it's setup procedure and carry out a force software update on the box by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times followed by pressing the RW button 2 times on the remote controller.

Then after the forced software update, connect the box back onto the designated TV of your choice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a question to ask , sensor for smart box that receives commands from remote where is it inside box and can smart box be mounted to wall
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I think the IR receiver is located on the right hand corner next to the purple status light on the front of the smart box.

As long as there is sufficient ventilation around the box and the IR reciever can pick up the commands off the remote then I cannot see any reason why you cannot wall mount the box if you wished.

lf you are going to place the box out of sight away from the IR field of view than you may need to use the Roku remote control app on your mobile device to control the box.