cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

blank purple screen

I've had the Smart TV box since Sept but now, every time I use it I just get a blank purple screen. I have to reboot it to get a picture.

Is there a fix or is the box faulty?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Pehaps the following 'Help Article' maybe of use to you: Purple screen with no picture on NOW TV Box

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What is the make and model of your TV ?

If you are using the NowTV Smart Box is the Pink Screen happening when watching all NowTV programmes and Apps or only when watching the Freeview TV channels ?

Bit of a long shot have you tried disabling in the box menu settings under "control other devices" the 1-Touch Play feature and also make sure that the TV is switched onto it's HDMI Input source before switching on the smart box by pressing any key on the smart box remote controller.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. It can't be HDCP on my TV as it sometimes, but not always works. Every other device I've ever used with it has been fine too (variety of consoles, STBs, computers, etc.).

Since it seems fine if I just turn it off, I can do that - only short of pulling the plug (which I can't keep doing, I have to move my TV unit!) I can't figure out how to do that. Which button should I be pressing?
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

HDMI HDCP connection issues can be quite a pain to track down, especially if you have loads of other gear connected to your TV. More-so if some of that gear is connected via an HDMI switch... 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Since it seems fine if I just turn it off, I can do that - only short of pulling the plug (which I can't keep doing, I have to move my TV unit!) I can't figure out how to do that. Which button should I be pressing?

@Anonymous User

I know this is not ideal, if you are using the smart box (ie with the blue logo on the top casing) and you can gain access to the box rather than the plug at the mains power outlet socket, then there is a reset button underneath the box or alternatively temporarily remove the power cable socket at the box.

Like i said it's not ideal.

Also, have you got a second TV in the house to test the smart box with just to see if the pink screen happens on the second TV ?

Are you using a HDMI switcher box or is the smart box connected directly into one of your HDMI ports on your TV ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the NowTV box connected to a HDMI switch box, which is connected to an Onkyo SR605 amp, which is connected to a Toshiba 32WLT66 TV.

I've used this setup for almost a decade, with Virgin HD, Sky HD, an old Now TV box, multiple consoles, DVD and Bluray players, a freeview box, PCs, Macs, an iPad and all sorts connected over the years. This is the only HDMI device I've ever had any video issue with.

The "HUD" displays fine, but sometimes, all channels whether freeview, live, catch-up or via an app just give a purple screen. Sometimes it's fine but changing channel causes it to go purple. Other times it's purple as soon as I wake it up.

The order in which things are turned on or switched over seems to make no difference.

Frankly amazed there's no off button!
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Having the NOW TV box connected to an HDMI switch will almost certainly be the cause of your 'HDCP handshake' issue @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital so what is the solution? I've tried a second, different branded switch today and it's the same problem. Does the Now TV box not do handshaking properly? It's literally the only device I've ever come across that has problems with HDMI video on my setup.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I used to have an Onkyo SR605 AV Receiver in my Home Cinema setup and it was fussy with the HDMI input from my Samsung BDP1400 Blu-ray player where i had no issues from my Sony PS3.

The Samsung Blu-ray played perfectly fine directly into my projector or if i used it on my TV.

The more HDMI Components that you introduce into the HDMI chain the more chance there could be an HDMI handshake issues.

Just out curiosity if you connect the smart box directly into Toshiba TV bypassing the Onkyo AV Receiver and your HDMI switcher does the pink screen still appear on your TV. 

Appreciate it's a lot of faffing around and doesn't help your setup, but at least you can prove that the smart box is the main cause to the pink screen.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps I've not tried removing the other devices from the chain yet. The amount of recabling and furniture upheaval to do such a thing (having already done it recently to install the box) is a nightmare. Even if it doesn't prove the NowTV box is at fault, what then? I can't buy a new switch/TV/receiver.