cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

blank purple screen

I've had the Smart TV box since Sept but now, every time I use it I just get a blank purple screen. I have to reboot it to get a picture.

Is there a fix or is the box faulty?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am guessing you have tried a factory reset in the box menu settings and tried another re tune of the tv channels and a forced software update  ?

Should you undertake a factory reset make sure you log back on to the smart box with your correct username and password.

If the screen was black rather than purple shown on your photo, i would have said it might have been a tv signal problem.

Never had this purple background screen with the tv channel info still showning on my smart box.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User can you try a different HDMI cable or port.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Bizarely it hasn't happened since I posted but if it does again I'll re-tune or reset.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is still happening even after a re-tune and factory reset. How do I get the box replaced as it's evidently faulty?

Thanks

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...How do I get the box replaced as it's evidently faulty?

Hi @Anonymous User,

If you believe you have a faulty product, under UK Consumer Law, your 'first port of call' if there's a problem is with the vendor/retailer...

EDIT: By-the-way. What's the model number of your Panasonic TV?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

could this be a HDCP handshake issue?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

When i have ever encountered HDCP issues (more times than i wished) the picture has always either appeared completely pink in colour or totally blank.

Where the photo attachment in the first post shows no tv picture signal from the smart box Freeview tuner, but the BBC 2 channel info is still on screen.

So i doubt it is the pesky HDCP issue that plagues a lot of HDMI users (saying that never take anything for granted in the world of electronics).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

By accident i managed to replicate the same pink screen on the Freeview channels only on my smart box where the NowTV Home page and App still shows a perfectly fine picture.

I always normally switch on my TV first then followed by my smart box and never encountered the pink screen only whilst watching a Freeview channel on the smart box.

By mistake last night i switched on the smart box first which automatically powered on the TV from standby which triggered the pink screen on the Freeview channels like shown on your picture below.

BTW - I have a Panasonic TV like you.

Had a similar problem with the HDMI handshake chain with my older projector where to avoid the pink / magenta screen always had to fire up my display device first before switching on the connected HDMI device (ie in your case the nowtv smart box).

Don't know if you are still getting the pink screen issue from the smart box Freeview TV channels, if so have you tried switching on your TV first selecting the correct HDMI input source on your TV remote before pressing a button on the smart box RC to switch it on from it's hibernation mode.

Hopefully you have already sorted this pink screen on the smart box Freeview TV channels, but i thought i would post on here my findings in case somebody else encounters this problem and stumbles across this thread in the future looking on the forum for a solution.

pink screen.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same purple screen issue here, regardless of HDMI socket or cable used. Seems to happen when I've left the box to go into standby mode, and can be fixed by unplugging the power and plugging it back in.

Presumably I could just turn the Smart Box off, but I can't find the option to do that. How do you? Choosing "restart" from the options doesn't seem to fix it