cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app - cannot navigate before it crashes out....

Not sure if its just the Smart Box that affected, but since the Youtube was updated, I am finding that going through the menu, is sluggish...

then after a short while, find that the screen 'freezes', and you cannot navigate or play any other content...

Pressing Home on the remote , allows you to go back into the app, but if the item you wish to view isn't on the top few rows, then you cannot view.

(you can if you do a search)

81 REPLIES 81
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

My Smart box has now started crashing since it updated over the weekend.

I hate the new interface as its only shows 3 thumbnails across now and it seems I have to do a lot of navigating to get to my Watch List etc.

It seems to play most videos OK, but on some it plays a few seconds, then I get half a flickering green screen, sound continues, then the box crashes.  Only cure seems to be unplug and start again.  Also the suggested videos along the bottom flicker when you have the timeline up.

I hope this is fixed soon as I live on YouTube!

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @schnapps Is it any kind of video specifically (Resolution, Length, etc) or is it any video at all? How many of you had screen locking while scrolling? Is your YouTube interface different than it was say a few weeks agao? (I know that the YouTube layout has changed on a number of my devices at home)

Guys, what version do you have whenyou scroll to settings > version number (or somehting similar)

In the office we have version 'b8ad7f9c' running on the Smart Box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will have to wait until I get home to get the vesion number, but it was OK on Saturday them I went to watch it on Sunday and it had changed.  It looks like its meant for a tocu device as there is so much spacing between all the icons.

The videos I have a problem play fine on my iMac, iPad etc.

The vidoes that do not play or lock up the box are anything from 5 mins to 15 mins and are generally 1080p.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I forgot to add that I have done a factory reset on the box and the issue persists.

Sorry for the extra post, but I couldnt see a way of editing my post.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I will have to wait until I get home to get the vesion number, but it was OK on Saturday them I went to watch it on Sunday and it had changed.  It looks like its meant for a tocu device as there is so much spacing between all the icons.

The videos I have a problem play fine on my iMac, iPad etc.

The vidoes that do not play or lock up the box are anything from 5 mins to 15 mins and are generally 1080p.

@Anonymous User I've had a difference experience with the playback here in the office for some reason. Seems to be videos recorded in 4K but it may just be random after all. I've been reporting everything back today and been doing a tests myself too so the dev team should have all the info we have atm.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Tony-D

The YouTube App on my smart box is the same version as yours in the office (version 'b8ad7f9c').

Like mentioned by others the video thumbnails are much larger now and covers less rows across and columns down of video content on the TV screen, which I personally don't like myself (there was nothing wrong with the old YouTube App IMO, until I am guessing the YouTube software developers / Engineers started messing with it) Smiley Sad

I just tried the newest HDTV Test video (one on my favourite YouTube channels for me) and on the first attempt trying to play the video the right half of the TV screen was pink, where the other half was multi colours continual flashing where the sound played fine.

Then had to reboot the smart box because no buttons was working on the remote by pulling the power plug out, then went back into the Youtube App and tried the HDTV Test video footage once again this time the video tried to load with the white spinning circle, then the smart box would crash Smiley Mad

The YouTube App on the smart box in my case is defiantly broken since it was first reported on this thread a few weeks ago (will just have to watch YouTube on my other devices until this gets sorted) Smiley Mad

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

The YouTube App on my smart box is the same version as yours in the office (version 'b8ad7f9c').

Like mentioned by others the video thumbnails are much larger now and covers less rows across and columns down of video content on the TV screen, which I personally don't like myself (there was nothing wrong with the old YouTube App IMO, until I am guessing the YouTube software developers / Engineers started messing with it) Smiley Sad

I just tried the newest HDTV Test video (one on my favourite YouTube channels for me) and on the first attempt trying to play the video the right half of the TV screen was pink, where the other half was multi colours continual flashing where the sound played fine.

Then had to reboot the smart box because no buttons was working on the remote by pulling the power plug out, then went back into the Youtube App and tried the HDTV Test video footage once again this time the video tried to load with the white spinning circle, then the smart box would crash Smiley Mad

The YouTube App on the smart box in my case is defiantly broken since it was first reported on this thread a few weeks ago (will just have to watch YouTube on my other devices until this gets sorted) Smiley Mad

Exact same thing happening for us too in the office @schnapps Funnily enough, people on the Roku Subreddit and the Sony TV forums are having similar issues. I've been in correspondence all day about this and we're getting closer. Thanks for your update btw @schnapps. Helps alot.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Tony-D just got home and my version is the same as yours b8ad7f9c  The symtons @ schnapps describes mirror the problems I am having.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Tony-D@ just got home and my version is the same as yours b8ad7f9c  The symtons @ schnapps describes mirror the problems I am having.

@Anonymous User @Andy @Anonymous User Thanks for getting back to me guys. Also, Andy, it was happening on my Standard Black Box at the house too so it's even more confusing now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I set my box back to Factory settings, etc,,,,

I'm now finding that audio is playing fine, but video is playing at a faster rate, then it crashes .....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi the version number for my youtube app is 47Fe3143.

And now i can watch a video or two before it get's stuck on the loading screen and then crashes the box still.