cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app - cannot navigate before it crashes out....

Not sure if its just the Smart Box that affected, but since the Youtube was updated, I am finding that going through the menu, is sluggish...

then after a short while, find that the screen 'freezes', and you cannot navigate or play any other content...

Pressing Home on the remote , allows you to go back into the app, but if the item you wish to view isn't on the top few rows, then you cannot view.

(you can if you do a search)

81 REPLIES 81
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tony-D 

Funny enough was just having another quick play. Feels like it's something to do with scrolling around the videos triggering it. Difficult to pinpoint as you're served up different selections every time you go into the app, but because it animates the thumbnails on selection could be either certain videos glitching, or the interface can't cope with scrolling around trying to animate each one in quick succession.

Difficult to know who to pin the blame on, whether it's hardware/firmware or app-side. If you're passing it on at your end I'd be tempted to encourage users to report at https://www.youtube.com/roku_feedback as well to cover both sides.

Right, back in the cupboard it goes! 😄

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

@Tony-D 

Funny enough was just having another quick play. Feels like it's something to do with scrolling around the videos triggering it. Difficult to pinpoint as you're served up different selections every time you go into the app, but because it animates the thumbnails on selection could be either certain videos glitching, or the interface can't cope with scrolling around trying to animate each one in quick succession.

Difficult to know who to pin the blame on, whether it's hardware/firmware or app-side. If you're passing it on at your end I'd be tempted to encourage users to report at https://www.youtube.com/roku_feedback as well to cover both sides.

All sent off now to the relevant team 🙂 Hopefully we can find out why. Maybe its cached data casuing the problem as it seems to work fine after a system reset for a number of minutes but we'll just have to wait and see.  @Andy @Anonymous User @schnapps

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

wrote:

@Tony-D 

All sent off now to the relevant team 🙂 Hopefully we can find out why. Maybe its cached data casuing the problem as it seems to work fine after a system reset for a number of minutes but we'll just have to wait and see.  @Andy @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys @Anonymous User @Andy @schnapps Tested it for a few hours while i was making dinner on Thursday and all seemed fine with the app. Weird weird weird. Anyone still hvaing issues?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep still having issues. Tried factory restoring box and still same. Also on Smartbox since last update. Works ok for a short while then it does as everyone here noticed. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Tony-D

Nope, my smart box on the Youtube App still locks up within seconds when you navigate down the video thumbnails more towards the bottom of the homepage UI Smiley Mad

The YouTube App was working perfectly fine before the recent App update Smiley Sad

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

Nope, my smart box on the Youtube App still locks up within seconds when you navigate down the video thumbnails more towards the bottom of the homepage UI Smiley Mad

The YouTube App was working perfectly fine before the recent App update Smiley Sad

@schnapps @Anonymous User Must be something going on behind the scenes regarding the app. I'll have another try and report further details to the dev team.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Tony-D

When on the YouTube homepage, try pressing the down arrow quickly on the remote controller to see if the App locks up for you, this is what happens to me every time since the update Smiley Mad

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

When on the YouTube homepage, try pressing the down arrow quickly on the remote controller to see if the App locks up for you, this is what happens to me every time since the update Smiley Mad

Good idea, i'll try that today and report back @schnapps

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Tony-D

Been playing with the YouTube App on my smart box and so far no lock ups on the App today, where previously the App would freeze in seconds when quickly scrolling down the UI homepage Smiley Happy

I will reserve judgement on the above, until I have spent more time using the App.

Will report back If I get any further crashing on the Youtube App.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

Been playing with the YouTube App on my smart box and so far no lock ups on the App today, where previously the App would freeze in seconds when quickly scrolling down the UI homepage Smiley Happy

I will reserve judgement on the above, until I have spent more time using the App.

Will report back If I get any further crashing on the Youtube App.

Still doing it on mine