cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app - cannot navigate before it crashes out....

Not sure if its just the Smart Box that affected, but since the Youtube was updated, I am finding that going through the menu, is sluggish...

then after a short while, find that the screen 'freezes', and you cannot navigate or play any other content...

Pressing Home on the remote , allows you to go back into the app, but if the item you wish to view isn't on the top few rows, then you cannot view.

(you can if you do a search)

81 REPLIES 81
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

Not sure if its just the Smart Box that affected, but since the Youtube was updated, I am finding that going through the menu, is sluggish...

then after a short while, find that the screen 'freezes', and you cannot navigate or play any other content...

Pressing Home on the remote , allows you to go back into the app, but if the item you wish to view isn't on the top few rows, then you cannot view.

(you can if you do a search)

I mostly watch YouTube myself @Anonymous User and it must be so annoying for you. I'll see if i can have a play about wiht the app in our office wihtin the next hour and report back. Cheers.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User @Tony-D

Having the same exact problem on my smart box since the recent YouTube software update Smiley Mad

Tried removing the App and reinstalling it again with the same issues, which is sluggish navigating around the YouTube UI and after scrolling down a couple of rows the App locks up Smiley Mad

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User @Tony-D

Having the same exact problem on my smart box since the recent YouTube software update Smiley Mad

Tried removing the App and reinstalling it again with the same issues, which is sluggish navigating around the YouTube UI and after scrolling down a couple of rows the App locks up Smiley Mad

@schnapps @Anonymous User Just waiting for a chance to test this out out now as having a slow YouTube app is not good at all. Not good at all.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

The NOW TV Smart Box seems to be in the wars lately. Just checked and it's the same for me, pretty bad performance.

Only seems to be browsing within the app itself, I didn't have any issues with using mobile app or Chrome browser to 'cast' videos to the box so that might be the workaround for now.

You on 1.0 build 70500230 @Anonymous User? Notice it's the same build on the streaming stick and that works fine on there.

Interestingly my Roku 3 is on 1.0 buildx231 and works fine, and even more interestingly the standard NOW TV box is already on a version 2 app, again working fine.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User @Andy @Tony-D

Just done a forced software update on my smart box by pressing Home x 5, FF x 3 and RW x 2 on the remote controller which touch wood has seemed to fixed the YouTube App issue Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @schnapps

I was going to try a forced software update to see if it worked for me but no need, on booting up again the app now works fine. My guess would be either a communication problem with YouTube when trying to load the featured videos caused the glitch, or possibly one of the thumbnails on a featured video was corrupted in some way. No way to know for sure tho unless it keeps happening again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Andy @Anonymous User @Tony-D

I spoke too soon, the YouTube App was working fine all last night on my smart box, went to check the App just now and it locks up and crashes after a few seconds navigating around the UI Smiley Mad

Will try Andy's reboot suggestion to see if that makes a difference.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Don't bother with a reboot (only rebooted because it was unplugged!) as I don't think that cured it, however if yours is playing up again I might have another look and see if I can spot anything. 

*rummages through cupboard for smart box again*

You know I like a mystery!

PS my Smart Box has never looked so clean!

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

wrote:

@schnapps Don't bother with a reboot (only rebooted because it was unplugged!) as I don't think that cured it, however if yours is playing up again I might have another look and see if I can spot anything. 

*rummages through cupboard for smart box again*

You know I like a mystery!

PS my Smart Box has never looked so clean!

@Andy @Anonymous User @schnapps Tested it at home last night and had problems browsing, waiting for thumbnails to populate and especially trying to fast forward, skip video or go back to menu. It can't be a power issue as the Smart Box is relatively powerful (especially for YouTube at least) i'll raise these all off for us and hopefully we can find out the reason why this is happening. Thanks guys. Andy, let me know how you get on with your CLEAN Smart Box haha 🙂