cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stammie1609
Expert

Why no 5:1 sound on Freeview HD channels?

As the title says, even though I have the Dolby D+ and DTS options enabled on my smart box I noticed whilst watching this evenings F.A. Cup semi final on BBC 1 that the surround sound wasn't being sent to my amp.

Switching to my PC to watch the game using the exact same aerial proved to me that it was being broadcast with 5:1 Dolby Digital sound.

So I ask again why wont the smart box recognise this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

All of the HD channels on the Freeview platform use HE-AAC audio. Which

Unfortunately multi-channel HE-AAC audio is unable to be decoded by a surround sound amplifier as a native 'bitstream', it has to be transcoded to Dolby Digital. I'm not sure if the 'smart' box can perform this level of transcoding...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Geluk
Expert 2

I previously had issues with no sound on some BBC HD Freeview progs, recorded on my

Panasonic DVR and despite fiddling with my Panasonic & TV sound settings, had to

revert to recording on non BBC HD channels.

After I updated my TV, issue was resolved.

There seems to be a known SOUND issue from this old BEEB blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/06/questions_around_surround_soun.html

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

All of the HD channels on the Freeview platform use HE-AAC audio. Which

Unfortunately multi-channel HE-AAC audio is unable to be decoded by a surround sound amplifier as a native 'bitstream', it has to be transcoded to Dolby Digital. I'm not sure if the 'smart' box can perform this level of transcoding...

stammie1609
Expert

Thanks for the explanation SeeMoreDigital, given the scarcity of 5:1 sound on Freeview it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to know before buying one of these boxes what Freeview functions they lack.

I don't recall seeing anything prior to purchasing my boxes that they aren't compatible with BBC 5:1 Freeview broadcasts.

Instead of just selling them as Freeview compatible I think a list of the features they may lack should be made easily available before prospective buyers make a purchase.

Although having said that now the red function button has been enabled I can't think of much else missing apart from a full Freeview EPG