cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Virgin TV to Now TV Coax Cable

Hi all,
Anybody know if it's possible to convert or get an adapter to allow a virgin TV coax cable to fit a Now TV Box?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi all,
Anybody know if it's possible to convert or get an adapter to allow a virgin TV coax cable to fit a Now TV Box?

Thanks

Yes.  The cable can be converted using an F plug/coax adapter.  Google "f plug to coax socket plug". Stick a cheap aerial on the other end to get the freeview channels.  Works well as the Virgin cable is shielded and better than standard coax.  Used it to replace my V+ box.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Free view is a service which is only distributed via digital terrestrial television, there is no other way of receiving it than via a aerial.

Some of the channels can be received via Satalite (Freesat) and some via Sky and virgin but those channels are part of their packages.

i have never heard of Freeview distributing channels via internet etc.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous UserFreeview has always been via aerial right back to 2002

One assumes that you have a satellite dish so Freesat is a possibility and it's my service of choice for lounge tv.

I do, however, have a NowTV smart box upstairs and that runs perfectly well with internal aerial - depends on proximity to transmitter.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

One assumes that you have a satellite dish so Freesat is a possibility and it's my service of choice for lounge tv.

If @Anonymous User was a Virgin Media customer he/she would have had a 'cable TV box' conforming to the DVB-C/C2 standard 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

i have never heard of Freeview distributing channels via internet etc.

TV Player distributes most of them.   Add on iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand on 5 and UKTV Player and you have the vast majority of them.  TV Player is available on a amazon fire stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

You need to connect a coaxial cable from an antenna. But you dont find  that out until you open the packaging.

My Virgin runs out tomorrow and i found out that my coaxial does not work, despite having a lead that appears* to go to an antenna on the roof

What do i do?

Find out where your co-ax cable has a break and stick an indoor aerial on it.  It should be at the point the cable enters the house.   Google "co ax f adaptor" (or look them up on eBay) to get the right sockets/plugs.  If you are within 10 miles of the transmitter this should all work.   I had a V+ box but replaced it all with the above and it works a treat.

Geluk
Expert 2

Get a loft aerial; cut existing aerial lead in loft and connect to a new aerial which you should point in same direction as roof one.

If you still get no TV output, you'll need to run new aerial lead from loft to lounge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27884K4-Element-Aerial-Digital/dp/B00D76GPNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=149...

Before you buy new aerial, check it's not the coax plug in lounge that has loose

connection. Easily checked/ easily changed 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you all for your replies.

'Freeview has been an aeriel only platform back to 2002' does not help me. I think a few of you are missing my point.

It is not unreasonable to think that Freeview channels might be available streamed over the internet. All sorts of channels are streamed over the internet. I wanted a good quality, free, and legal platform on which i can easily access catchup, and have options of upgrading to movies/sports/entertainment etc without a contract in the future if i wanted to.

So exactly what was advertised here:

freeview.jpg

'Just connect to broadband and start watching over 60 freeview channels and 12 HD channels' I thought.

My Virgin TV ran out, and you cannot use the Tivo box just for freeview channels - they put a banner up over the screen. Plus i wanted to get away from the slow Tivo box anyway - iplayer is terrible on it!

So we had no other option than to spend £150 to have a Freeview aeriel put up.

Not happy.

Change your advertising.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I completely disagree. It clearly says watch Freeview channels by connecting the box to broadband. No idea what you are talking about DVB etc, and i dont think most people would.

Where does it say you need a co-ax aeriel cable? It doesnt.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

That particular advert also says this: -

Capture.PNG

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

So we had no other option than to spend £150 to have a Freeview aeriel put up. Not happy.

Change your advertising.

There's nothing incorrect with the advertising @Anonymous User. It's your interpretation that's incorrect. Freeview is indeed a (DVB-T/T2) platform much like Freesat is a (DVB-S/S2) platform. The TV channels can be viewed across multiple platforms, including Virgin Media and even over the internet.