cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Usb port and a micro sd slot in a smart box and a NOWTV box

Can anyone tell me what the usb port is for on a NOWTV smart tv box or the micro as slot on a NOWTV box please
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable
πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
chai
Scholar 3

A Kingston 16GB Class 4 and a Kingston 32GB Class 4 both worked fine on my smart 4k boxes.

And for anyone interested you can currently get them delivered from Amazon for only a few quid.

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

I read his/her post. But does that apply to a Now TV box? Why would a Now TV box request you insert a SD card if Now TV don't officially support the feature? One can only assume he/she has a Roku device running Roku firmware and so inserting a SD card would be beneficial to them.

Like I said, Now TV have a very limited number of apps available. So would a SD card be beneficial to a Now TV box? One would assume that Now TV would implement some sort of optimization to combat any negative performance issues that the SD card on a standard Roku box would correct?

I will dig out a SD card and test.

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

Just to follow up...

My Now TV 4K smart box accepts a 8GB class 1 SD card.

ukbobboy
Legend

@PaulNormanUK  @Anonymous User 

Hi again Paul

You asked, "Why would a Now TV box request you insert a SD card if Now TV don't officially support the feature?"  

Well, @Anonymous User did say the following, "My box was also telling me to insert a card to speed up the apps. .... You may first need to manually update the firmware in the settings."

This told me that his Now TV box was recommending to him to insert an SD card to thwart the impending slow down in opening apps, just as a Roku box would do. Also, the Now TV box is starting to partially behave like the Roku device it's cloned from.

You also said, in reply to @Anonymous User post, "One can only assume he/she has a Roku device running Roku firmware and so inserting a SD card would be beneficial to them."

I believe on this point you are wrong because @Anonymous User said in his first sentence, "I can confirm that the microSD slot DOES now work."

First, the Roku SD port has always worked, and second, this thread actually started off by talking about the USB and micro SD ports not working on the Now TV box.

UK Bob

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

I stand corrected. Apps do load a lot faster with an SD card installed. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah right. That's why I can't see anything working when Ive plugged it in.
Thanks for the information buddy.
Paul
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah right. That's why I can't see anything working when Ive plugged it in.
Thanks for the information buddy.
Paul
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looks like the SD card is used to store Apps

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can actually side load a usb media player app, just Google for it