cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unwanted WiFi

Hi,

Is there anyway to operate the smart box without the powerful, interfering 5Ghz WiFi it outputs? I mainly purchased it so I could use Ethernet. I'm just looking to use the remote on a basic basis eg. I'm not looking to use voice search or anything like that.

11 REPLIES 11
RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

Yes, I’ve just read up on this, following on from that useful link you posted, and it looks like if you change your router channel, the Roku box chases after the new channel, and camps on that instead.

So have you got anything like the Android Wifi Analyzer app I mentioned, that would tell you if the Roku signal is camping on the same channel as the router uses?

And I still don’t understand how come I can use a smart remote with all my devices, all on WiFi, that aren’t putting out a WiFi signal or offering a ‘DIRECT’ SSID.

Is there more than one sort of Smart Remote?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

My IT & Networking skills are not the best to be honest, where i have downloaded a wifi Analyser App onto my Android Tablet like you said.

The information on the App is saying that the Roku Direct SSID is on 5ghz channel 36, the same channel used on the 5ghz band on my Hub 2 Router according to the App.

Though i tend to use the 2.4ghz band on my Router with all my wifi connected devices and my NowTV 4K Smart box is hardwired via Ethernet directly into a 8 port unmanaged Ethernet Hub.