cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Byronjay
Advocate

UX3

hi,

ive seen a page about a ux3 feature as part of a set top box i believe. the feature allows you to schedule a recording from live sky via now tv. i want this because the nowtv catch up service is just very poor and often very delayed after broadcast.

My issue is this, beyond the page that describes ux3, i see no reference to it anywhere else on the internet, nor can i seem to find any current now tv boxes for sale with a google search, to try and check the features.

additionally there is mention of signing up to the recording service, does this mean that an already very expensive streaming service wants to charge extra for me to find a work around for its inadequate catch up service?

Am i missing something, or am i just opening a whole new can of worms with this idea 

thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@Byronjay 

https://www.nowtv.now.com/support/ux3/

Touch the hamburger top right. (To me, it always looks more like a liquorice allsort, but maybe  whoever named it had never heard of Bertie Bassett)

Choose About/NowTV

“Now TV is the leading pay-TV service in Hong Kong and the media entertainment arm of HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider and a leading innovator.”

I.e. somebody else, not connected with the UK/Eire Now.

As regards devices, there are no longer any Now boxes or Sticks for sale, in the UK at least.

I recommend a Roku device or an Amazon FireStick.

Or you may have the Now app on a TV or other device you own:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Byronjay 

UX3 is related to a company called NowTV in hong kong and nothing to do with NOW in the UK.

The only way to record live NOW programmes is by subscribing via BT TV with the NOW bolt on package via a BT Youview hard drive recording box.

RoyB
Legend

@Byronjay @schnapps 

which BT will lend you if you subscribe to BT TV, but you must be using BT Broadband to subscribe to that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Yeah to subscribe to BT TV with the NOW bolt on package you need to also sign up to BT Broadband.

If @Byronjay is looking at live recording on the Sky channels, then it's BT, Sky Satellite and maybe Virgin (not sure that they offer Sky Atlantic and some other Sky channels never seen Virgin Media in action).

Can you think of any others that offers live Sky recordings at this moment in time ?

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps @Byronjay 

Not a one - not even Sky Glass, which doesn’t really record anything, just gives you access to On Demand, which will likely have exactly the same timing issues as Now in regard to F1.

If you can’t watch F1 live, and can’t wait for replay to be available, then it’s a case of pricing Sky via satellite, on any ISP, against BT TV with Now, on BT as ISP. Both lend you the recording box, I think, so the cost of that doesn’t come into it.

And checking out Virgin for this if you are in a Virgin area, see if you can record Sky sports or not.

Byronjay
Advocate

Thanks for your quick responses.

If only I wasnt an f1 and golf fan. Lol.

It's a shame, it feels like sky take no pride in their online catch up services. I've used sky go as well, and it's the same. You have to wait a full 24 hours at least for content to go up, often more, and then it's all just jumbled up and poorly presented, bits missing, yea, I'm not a fan.

RoyB
Legend

@Byronjay 

This isn’t under Sky’s control, for F1 at least. Due to the way the rights are issued, Sky get the live race, but Channel 4 get the catchup rights for the next 24 hours, so Sky can’t put the race out on demand until after that.