cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There must be an easier way to jump to a channel

could somebody please tell me if there's another option to select a particular channel, other than scrolling down through the entire list!?  

Otherwise, I'm gonna get grief from the wife and daughter till the end of days!  🙄

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The subject of improving NowTV was a topic (https://loungelab.skyuk.com/forums/how-can-we-improve-now-tv-) on the SKY lounge, where they get feedback for SKY related products and services. 

I made a point about the guide and channels in addition to a few other things.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just bought a Smart box today and have set it up tonight.

I absolutely love the pausing and rewinding of live tv (no more missing the first 10 minutes of a programme and then having to wait an hour for it to appear on +1, or on catch-up) but I have to say, the rigmarole involved in going through the channels is an absolute pain in the neck ... I've only been using the box for a couple of hours, and already I'm frustrated beyond belief.

And because the aerial now runs into the box itself (unlike with the white box), we can't even change from HDMI to TV and get to channels more quickly when we aren't watching Sky channels or catch-up.

I would return the thing were it not for the fact that it came with a 2 month movie pass so I'm not sure how that would work, refund-wise.

Please can a better remote be sorted out, and quickly.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah the smart box IMO should have come with a numeric keypad remote controller to access channels numbers more quickly and a proper 7 day EPG ( a poor oversight on NowTV part if you ask me).

You could press the FF >> and RW << buttons on the smart box remote to jump up and down the TV channel pages more quickly (not ideal, but is quicker then continually pressing the up and down directional arrows on the RC).

Also if you live in a strong Freeview reception area you could invest in an aerial Y splitter for around about £2 to £3 where you can link up your TV aerial to both the smart box and your inbuilt TV tuner.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the tips schapps - I will try the FF and RW thing tomorrow.

I'll also look into getting an aerial splitter - though I have heard reports that using one will 'lessen' the quality of the picture?  I shall try it and see.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

When using a Y splitter the picture quality will depend on the TV reception strength and quality from your main aerial.

I live in an excellent Freeview area with good coverage where i am using the smart box with a Y splitter also feeding the Television where i am getting 175 TV and Radio stations with great picture & sound quality off both my smart box and Panasonic TV tuner.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you - I'll try and get one this weekend.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Forgot to mention that if you haven't got a spare lead lying around the house you will also need to purchase a Fly lead from the Y splitter that you plug into the back of the smart box into the rear aerial connection on your TV (just make sure the ends of the fly lead cable matches the splitter outlet and TV ( i.e, Male or Female depending on which style of Y splitter you buy).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, lol ... I'd just been googling flyleads before your last message.

I'm fairly certain we used to have both these things lying around the house somewhere, but by the time we found them it's probably easier to just get new ones.

Thanks again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry to trouble you again, just had a quick look behind the rear of the NowTV smart box where the TV aerial is connected and if you are usng an Ethernet cable into the smart box then there is little room to fit the Y splitter directly onto the box.

If this is the case, then either fit the Y spliter on the back of the TV set and run a fly lead to the smart box or if there is limited space on the rear of the TV, then just run two fly leads from the Y splitter to both the TV and smart box (which would be the last wiring configuration method that you could try).

I am sure you will figure it out once you have purchased the Y splitter and the extra TV fly lead cable.

Fingers crossed that you get a good TV signal on both the smart box and your television set.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well, I had an enforced clearing out of cupboards today, and came across the Y splitter and 2 flyleads that I suspected I had, so set them up with the smart box and (fingers crossed!) so far so good ... the TV channels still broadcast to the same, good quality as before, as do the Now TV channels (with subtitles at long last, I didn't even know that when purchasing yesterday!)

So ... a happy me, and a happy other half who couldn't get away with all the scrolling to find a channel.

To finish off the afternoon I've set my old white box up in the bedroom, and that seems to be working great too.

(I've just jinxed it all now, haven't I Smiley Wink )

Thanks again to schnapps for the advice.