cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV Guide Disappeared!!

Hi,

I am new to Now TV having purchased a smart box earlier this week. All was great, really impressed however this morning have gone to watch the freeview channels and find that on the main first screen, the TV Guide option along with "Home" and "Best of Catchup" have all disappeared?!? Only giving me the "My Apps", "App Store" and "Settings" options. Have tried to reset and turn it on and off again but no luck!

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a faulty box?

Help!

67 REPLIES 67
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You won't get the over the air Freeview channels with a NowTV stick, hence the reason you can't find the Freeview channels under the TV guide.

The only NowTV branded device that offered Freeview via a TV aerial plugged into the back of the box was the NowTV Freeview smart box which has now been discontinued.

This is the picture of the NowTV Freeview smart box.

Smart_Box_main.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You gotta be kidding....i have the now box and get freeview on it.

Bought the stick to watch upstairs...bit sneaky that....think ill be returning it now....whats the point if you dont have all options??

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If your NOWTV app and TV Channels menu options go missing. The factory resets from the menues (advanced or hidden developer menu) may not work. You won't get the flying popcorn start-up animation and will likely get a cold blue NOWTV.

To reset the box properly you need to do a hard reset. For the blue boxes, this means turning them over and you will see a small rectangular rubber "reset" button . One the NOWTV is powered on, press the 'reset' for a few seconds to fully reset. 

You may not have to re-enter your wireless settings, account or apps . I didn't, although I did have a microSD card in the back so whether that made a difference to settings memory I don't know.

Try blowing through the air vents to remove the dust to stop it overheating in the future - do it outside and be prepared for a snowstorm of dust if its a few years old. 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would second this advice! This loss of TV Guide happened to me today. Had the box about 18 months and its been absolutely fine. Was watching movies last night and then when I turned it on this morning no TV Guide. All I had on menu was:

My Apps

Search

App Store

Settings

I tried reset through the menu settings system, turning on and off, disconnecting from the web, thanks to this forum found the 'secret menu' (home x 5, fast forward x 3 and rewind x 2) and tried forced update, even tried downloading the nowTV app and logging in through there but it wouldn't let me even access it, I went onto the app on my phone just to check that it was actually working and it was fine through that app. Anyway nothing worked. Then located factory reset on my smart box (I have blue logo NowTv Smart Box with rewind FF and pause) on the underneath of the box, had to do it a couple of times before it worked (second time I pressed it and kept it pressed for about 30 seconds) Things seem to be fine now fingers crossed!

I didn't have to re enter internet settings or log in again. I noticed about a week or so ago that I no longer get the popcorn start up animation, its just a blue NowTv screen with logo but this is the first time the box has FUBAR'd on me.

Good luck to anyone experiences this!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have 2 NOW boxes, one shows TV guide and i can get all Freeview channels, the other box does not have this option, never has, how do i install this onto the box please

Many thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Are both boxes the same or different? Free to air channels are only available on the Smartbox which is the slim one.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I had the same problem and this worked for me 👍
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great, mines just done this too. So I have to reset the whole thing. It's stuff like this that means I never recommend any of this garbage to my mother.

I thought it was a good free view box, turns out it's junk after all.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This exact thing just happen the free view channel and other options on the home screen just not there only the 3 mentioned in the first post. Forcing the software update took 2 mins and did the job thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I often loose the TV guide as explained here. It sometimes comes back after an hour and sometime after a day