cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boomish
Mentor

TV Entertainment optional HD?

I came to ask about taking out a Entertainment membership, is this right as a new broadband subscriber I can add on Entertainment for £9.99  but that doesn't include HD channels I have to add on a TV Boost (£6) to get them? That's weird, I'm not interested in ad free or extra devices I just want to watch live TV. 

The website I so confusing & hard to find stuff, I didn't even know there was a Smart Box before I came into the community but I see that doesn't record. 

7 REPLIES 7
redchiz1
Champion 2

The standard TV memberships do provide HD, but only at 720p. For full HD at 1080p, along with Dolby Surround and other benefits you do have to add the Boost. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Boomish 

To follow up from @redchiz1 Sky charge an extra fee on top of their “basic” package for HD. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Boomish 

As you mentioned ‘channels’, note that Now is not like Freeview, where there are separate SD and HD channels.

With or without Boost, you get every channel that your Membership(s) offer; just at 720p ‘HD Ready’, one user at a time, with adverts, in stereo, if you don’t have Boost, and at 1080p ‘Full HD’, up to three users at a time, no adverts on On Demand (though you still get these on the ‘live’ channels, and you still get promos for Now programmes before whatever you request On Demand), in 5.1 audio, if you have Boost, on a device that supports Boost.

And one or two extras and exceptions, fully described in the Now Help for Boost.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

Ah yes, the massive array of HD channels available on Freeview. Seven is it at the last count, including four from the BBC? It didn't occur to me to mention that in connection with a query about NOW TV. But good on you for bringing it up. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Thanks!

Seven indeed.

Though that wasn’t germane here; it was the canonical, rather than the count, that I was addressing.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Boomish
Mentor

Thanks for all the replies , I suppose the deal is for mobile users 720p even if they are HD is going to look terrible quality even on a modest sized home telly , £16 is not worth it that’s roughly the extra Virgin will charge on top of their broadband  for their basic TV package including all the channels & their box . Sky I’m not sure but I think they do a basic package for £26 but again for all channels & a box . Just seems weird who watches 720p ..

redchiz1
Champion 2

The difference between 720p and 1080i, which is what Freeview channels broadcast in, is not that great in the number of pixels actually used. I agree that the full price packages are a bit steep, so it is always worth looking out for special deals which NOW frequently offer. Unfortunately there do not appear to be any available at present.