cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Streaming quality

i see the new box claims 1080p video output and up to 7.1 sound, I assume this relates to its actual capability not what now TV stream?

i had a box before but gave up with it due to poor streaming quality, max 720, and stereo sound.

can anyone confirm what the streaming spec is now?

9 REPLIES 9
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You are correct the tech specs refer to the box itself not the NOW TV service. You'll get 720p and stereo sound on all on-demand and live channels on the box, although to be fair these look very good on the NOW TV Smart Box.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Might look good on a small TV but of no interest to me until Now TV decide to at least match the competition. More content is becoming available in 4K but I'd be happy with 1080 on Now TV.

I think how good the picture looks, within the constraints of what NOW TV provides in terms of streaming quality, can also be dependent on how the TV is calibrated.

I've done quite a lot of setting calibration to produce what I/we think is a fine picture.

It's way different to how it looked straight out of the box on factory settings!

I suspect that many people don't change settings at all or very little.

And of course one person's perfect PQ can be another person's awful PQ!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The key here is the comment here is "within the constraints of what Now TV provides".

If you're happy with the quality, great, I'm not looking to start an argument or anything but it's very difficult to find on the Now TV website what the quality of the picture and the audio is. I admire you calbrating the settings, most people don't and don't see the benefit of what a difference it can make to the picture quality.

720 isn't bad but it's not HD, likewise stereo is fine if your just using a TV with its own speakers in the corner.

I just feel Now TV is being left behind when the "other" streaming companies are developing 4K streaming.

I saw the new box and thought I'd take a look but obviously the streaming quality hasn't improved so personally it's not for me.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...but it's very difficult to find on the Now TV website what the quality of the picture and the audio is.

Hi @Anonymous User,

With regards to the streaming quality, Andy gave you a link to this information. Which has been available (and updated) since the NOW TV service began!

The audio is 2 channel (stereo) along with support for matrix surround sound.

In some respects NOW TV is behind other 'on-demand' streaming companies. However, none of these other companies offer a 'live' streaming service!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I asked the question because I didn't see the page before Andy posted it, secondly the link doesn't give the audio quality.

I know somebody will be along to extol the virtues of Now TV, as I said before if your happy with it great, but it is not up to par with other providers and in its current format its not for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

NOW TV give you the option of s free 14 day trial so you can assess whether or not the service is right for you.  Simply cancel your pass if it isn't.  You can provide feedback during the cancellation process.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In my first post I commented that I'd had Now Tv before, I was simply trying to find out if the streaming quality in both video and audio had been improved. It hadn't so it doesn't suit me as it stands.

As I said before I can understand how it suits some people, more modern movies for one, but Now Tv must monitor the forums and see the comments about quality.

My gut feel is that they see it as the cheaper product in relation to Sky, and if Now TV had the higher spec streaming people would switch from Sky to the cheaper Now TV.

Thanks for all the comments, but personally I don't see the product changing until there's a bigger roll out of Sky Q and 4K, that way they could increase the spec of Now TV and still maintain the premium placement of the Sky product.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Given that everything that can be said, has been said. Perhaps we'll see you in another years time itann.

Best wishes to you