cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Streaming channel performance vs black/white box

I'm interested in feedback about the navigation performance specifically of iPlayer, ITV hub etc. 

On my black and white box its pretty slow, has to be rebooted every few days etc. 

With a faster chip/more RAM, is the interface speed and reliability in these apps any better?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

IMO there are certain factors to ensure a fluid navigation experience on any internet connected type of device, which are a good speedy processor under the hood, a stable reliable fast internet service and where practically possible avoid WiFI and use a hard wire Ethernet cable.

Anyway going back to your question, i own both the nowtv standard black box and the new smart box and i personally find that the smart box with the quad core processor is slightly faster navigating around the UI than the standard black box.

The smart box remote controller is much more responsive over infra red then the standard black box (day & night difference where you don't even have to point the remote directly at the smart box).

The other big advantage of the smart box is that it plays content natively at 50hz which makes everything look more natural and the PQ looks slightly better IMO. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User regarding Iplayer. I find it better to use the app on the Now box to on other devices. Loads up faster and navigation is easier.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for both of the replies. I'm glad to see there are some incremental improvements, especially the hard wire part which could at least remove the wifi potential issues.