cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgilbert2
Scholar

Standby mode when change to main TV

Whenever we change from the Smartbox HDMI channel to something else, the NowTV box drops into standby within a couple of minutes. Can this be stopped or the length of time increased?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dgilbert2

Unfortunately it's a 2 minute fixed software setting in the smart box, that once the box loses it's hdmi source signal the box goes into an Eco Hibernation mode.

There is no option to change this time, but like you said it would be nice to have the option.

Perhaps the nowtv software development team can look at this and maybe in the future they could offer a software update  for the smart box to give customers the option to select a time preference of the eco shutdown ?   

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dgilbert2

Unfortunately it's a 2 minute fixed software setting in the smart box, that once the box loses it's hdmi source signal the box goes into an Eco Hibernation mode.

There is no option to change this time, but like you said it would be nice to have the option.

Perhaps the nowtv software development team can look at this and maybe in the future they could offer a software update  for the smart box to give customers the option to select a time preference of the eco shutdown ?   

dgilbert2
Scholar

Thanks @schnapps

Hopefully this might get improved in the future?!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dgilbert2

Perhaps the NowTV Team could move your request to the ideas board (it would get my vote) ?

Agree, it would be nice to have the choice in the smart box menu settings to have a time option (within reason) for this eco shutdown mode.

I am guessing NowTV decided to use this 2 minute eco setting for energy saving reasons (Maybe they had their "Green Thinking Hats On" when they set this fixed time parameter in the smart box software) ?

dgilbert2
Scholar

@schnapps

I guess there is nothing more to do, just wait & see if NowTV pick up this idea.

Thanks again for your replies.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Out of interest...

Have you disabled the boxes screensaver modes?

dgilbert2
Scholar

Yes, the screen saver mode is showing as disabled.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital

Disabling the screensaver or turning off the 4 hour auto power saving option in the smart box menu settings have no effect.

This 2 to 3 minute eco shutdown is fixed in the smart box software and there is no option or choice for the user to adjust this mode anywhere in the menu settings from what i believe. 

Miketurn
Scholar 3

The two minute shutdown is one of the reasons I've gone back to using the older black box for my main viewing.

The beauty of the old box is that it never really switches off and is always ready. You can pause things and come back to it later knowing full well you'll immediately be able to continue from where you left off.

The SMART box 2 minute shutdown is just another bad decision made by Now TV, along with no way of deleting unwanted Freeview channels and only offering a now and next EPG.