cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Software update sound problems

Has anyone else got audio dropouts since yesterday's software update, it's definitely that as leads have been checked and are fine, and other audio sources are not exhibiting any problems like this.

29 REPLIES 29
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You know, I'm not a judgmental guy nor am I unfriendly, I just believe that in order for this forum to remain open and welcoming to everybody, especially as we are all from different backgrounds and misunderstandings can easily occur, there are certain things that must be observed.

First and foremost, we should all abide by the forum rules.

Secondly, there are certain etiquette procedures which are just common sense and decency.

And, I believe, there are certain topics which should not be discussed under any circumstances.

If we as forum members can keep these things upper most in our minds when we start to post something then everybody will have an enjoyable experience, despite the current tech problems we bring to the table.

I hope I have made my position clear and hope you understand that I have nothing against you or anyone else using this forum.  

I hope you have enjoyed our debate, I certainly have.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As a new user I have experieced sound problems that have been intermittent and spoil our viewing which after some diagnosis I think I have resolved it.

Setup

Now TV Smart box, LG Smart 3D TV,  Bose 321 surround sound system and latest software. Virgin Broadband whilst waiting for Nowtv Broadband to be installed.

The problem

When viewing anything, live TV, Catch up, NowTV movies, NowTV entertainment etc everything would be fine except for after a couple of minutes we would experience a drop in the sound, a sort of click and then the sound resume. This would then repeat itself every 2-3 minutes.

This would happen if the Smartbox was wifi or cabled and with all audio settings.

I replaced the HDMI cable, aerial cable, tried pausing and starting, and rebooting but experienced no improvement.

Solution

My LG TV has a NowTV app, so I tried that and it worked fine which ruled out the TV, the Broadband.

Therefore it has to be something to do with either the smartbox or the sound system.

I then tried the TV with the smartbox without the surround sound and it worked fine therefore it had to be something to do with the surround sound.

After a little experimentation I found that the toslink (fibre audio cable) from the TV wa the issue as if I wiggled it the sound wound drop and 'glitch' like before.

I have now reseated the cable by pulling it completely out both ends and putting it back in and now it works fine.

Nothing to do with the Smart TV box!

Munky Bunky

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User the reason it is recommended to only post in one place is it makes it easier to reach a solution. Multiple posts means different things are suggested. There are folk who can move posts. Either join your posts together so all the help is in one place or combine different peoples posts about the same issue. This helps the issue stand out. It also helps Now see what could be causing it. Personally I don't mind where you post. Just remember you can bump a thread on any forum area by adding a comment.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User,

It's never good practice on any forum to submit multiple posts about the same issue in different areas of the forum.

Sufficed to say, if you have a 'device related' issue, the first place you should visit is your devices dedicated area of the forum to see if anyone else has reported the same issue. 

It's also good practice to keep any 'device related' issues you may have confined your devices dedicated area of the forum. Which is why the separate device areas were created in the first place 😉

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have not experienced sound drop-outs, but for the past couple of weeks I have noticed that when I change channels the picture appears first, then there is a delay of about three seconds before the sound starts.  This happens on all live channels, including Freeview, on-line and even on the Sky News App.  Not a great problem, but it didn't happen before the software update.

Wlat

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Wlat

You know, until I read your post I did not know that both my black boxes OS had be updated, I mean there wasn't even a forum announcement.

OK, my boxes have been updated to the following:

OS Version 7.0 Build 9620 on 28th February, the previous OS was V7.0 Build 9612.

However, I did notice some improvements yesterday, I watched two episodes of "Bull" one episode of Quantico and a Japanese action, comedy musical film about Hip-Hop gangsters in Tokyo. And not once did I get a "103 Something has gone wrong" error in 4.5 hours of viewing.

So, to all the nay sayers out there, NowTV can get somethings right.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy ... 'fraid not .. in last week or so have been getting freeview sound drop outs, picture stalling and last couple of days, sudden reboots. On 7.5.3 4057-16.

Had since Nov. last year rock solid with no issues. It's not somewhere not, once reboot was within 5mins of switch on from standby.

Why can't we have change logs? Unless they're somewhere I don't know.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Simon

I agree that change logs and update announcements would be a good idea so that users can try and pin-point where things went wrong or, equally informative, when things went right.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi UK Bob,

Very interesting.  The version number you mention is completely different from mine.  But you said in your posting "both my black boxes", so I assume you are referring to the ordinary "black box" - not the Smart Box.  This part of the Forum relates to the Smart Box only.

My Smart Box was updated on February 25 to ver. 7.5.3 build 4057-16.  Unlike some people, I have experienced absolutely no sound drop-outs, no random reboots ... in fact the only difference I notice is that the sound takes about 3 seconds to start every time I change channels, even though the picture appears instantly.  Not really a problem, but it's different from before the update.

I don't recall EVER having a "103 Something has gone wrong" error, either before or after the update.

Glad to know your service is improved, anyway.

Cheers,

Wlat

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Wlat

Yes you are right, in my haste I had not noticed that this was a "Smart Box" only thread but I hope I've only made a temporary diversion.

Cheers

UK Bob