cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart box not playing another film/episode after one has finished ?

0n my and my daughters smart boxs refuse to play another film/episode after one has finished, only way around this is to go to the home screen and re-enter the app. I have re-set/installed box. My ISP is Virgin Media which we have sufficent download speed. This is getting a bit tedious now (just been putting up with it)

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@darr1975

Whilst nothing's been confirmed, a number of Virgin hub users do seem to suffer this.

There haven't been enough responses to know anything for sure, but from a small number of users it may be that Hub 3 users appear to be OK but not Hub 2 users.

One Hub 2 user reported changing the wireless channel from auto to a specified channel worked for them (changing the wireless channel itself won't affect the NOW TV box so I can only assume if it does work that it's a glitch in the Virgin hub firmware that might correct when a manual wifi channel is selected). If you want to try it you can find steps here

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

@Lindzi did you ever try this and if so did it make any difference?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

On my NowTV smart box when watching a TV show on boxsets when the show ends at the start of the credits a pop up option will show on screen where it asks you if you either want to watch the next episode or not and if it's the last episode available on the service the pop up will ask me do i want to watch similar type shows (where you got to manually select it by pressing the OK button on the remote, the next episode will not automatically play otherwise).

With movies once the film is finished, it goes back to the same movie information page and then i have to press the back button on the remote controller to go back to the cinema sections of the NowTV UI (there is no automatic playing of the next movie).

Is this how your smart box works or is it different ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Might have misread your post sorry, are you saying that after watching a TV show or movie the remote controller doesn't respond to any commands and the smart box "locks up" ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Please ignore my first post, where wrongly on my part i didn't read your problem that you are having with your NowTV box.

Can you confirm if you have the NowTV white box, the standard black box or the smart box with the inbuilt Freeview TV tuner with the blue nowtv logo on the top casing.

I am guessing you have tried undertaking a forced software update on the box by pressing the Home button 5 times on the remote controller, then quickly press the FF >> 3 times, followed quickly pressing the RW  << 2 times ?

Not sure what else i could suggest apart from a full factory reset to the box, which sounds like you have already tried this?

Hopefully other helpful forum members or somebody from the NowTV Team can offer you further assistance in resolving the problems your are currently encountering with the NowTV box. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to trouble you again, but reading through the NowTV smart box section of the forum you are not the only person encountering this problem.

Here's a link below to another identical thread where both members who have reported the problem with the smart box are strangely enough like you are Virgin ISP customers (might be a coincidence though).

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Smart-Box-Freezes-after-1-episode/td-p/434328

Unfortunately there is no solution offered on how to resolve it from anybody on this above thread Smiley Sad

I own a smart box, but i am on BT and not familiar with Virgin or their Routers.

Suggest that somebody from the NowTV Team or any helpful forum members can assist @Anonymous User  further please.

Thanks  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can go to watch another film/programme then the 3 circles just spin.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Darr

If I read your post correctly, it seems you are having problems specifically with the Now TV app, as opposed to your smart box or anything else.

If that is the case then you should try the following, delete the Now TV app then re-install it from the App Store.  It's just a slight possibility that your current app has become corrupt and the new app will not have that fault and may also be an update.

If that fails it could be there is a fault with your smart box, although unlikely it is still a possibility and you may have to return it to your retailer for a replacement, if it is still within the guarantee period.

Another thought, as you are a Virgin customer there may be a setting on your hub/router that may help.  I have read that other Virgin users have run into problems with their Now TV boxes, maybe a helpful user could suggest a few things to try.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@darr1975

Whilst nothing's been confirmed, a number of Virgin hub users do seem to suffer this.

There haven't been enough responses to know anything for sure, but from a small number of users it may be that Hub 3 users appear to be OK but not Hub 2 users.

One Hub 2 user reported changing the wireless channel from auto to a specified channel worked for them (changing the wireless channel itself won't affect the NOW TV box so I can only assume if it does work that it's a glitch in the Virgin hub firmware that might correct when a manual wifi channel is selected). If you want to try it you can find steps here

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

@Lindzi did you ever try this and if so did it make any difference?

Lindzi
Elite 2

Hi @Andy

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't yet, I haven't binged watched the same programme for a while on Nowtv so it hasn't annoyed me so much recently. 

@Anonymous User   I truly believe it is something to do with the Virgin hub and Nowtv. Netflix and Amazon Prime are working perfectly for me so they don't appear to interact properly with each other.....I have no tech knowledge just how it seems to me

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I agree, I think that it is down to the HUB and mine is quiet old. My wife is off to look after her mums dog for the weekend and she has a smart box but her Virgin Hub is only a year old so I'll hav eto try hers. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Darren