cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Selecting the right BBC region

How does the NOW TV box decide which is the "right" region to show for BBC1, and is it possible to change it?

We are located in the East Midlands area, but very close to its theoretical edge.  The NOW TV box has decided that we should get Midlands rather than East Midlands.

Any clues?  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The nowtv smart box doesn't seem to offer owners the choice of regions if it finds more than one TV transmitter in different regions when tuning it's TV channels.

A couple of forum members have had varied results where the smart box sometimes latches onto the weaker Transmitter or Relay in their area and by inserting a Y splitter on the incoming TV aerial wiring and sharing the signal with your inbuilt TV tuner which sometimes seems to filters out the weaker transmission signal found by the box.

There is no guarantee this will work mind or you could try keep re tuning the smart box a number times to see if you get lucky in picking up the East Midlands BBC local channel.

Also check in the TV channel Guide if the smart box hasn't hidden the local BBC East Midlands channel lower down the channels found list.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I first got my box (and first time after a factory reset) after scanning I get the option of Yorkshire or North East as I get a weaker signal on the North East transmitter. Once I select Yorkshire each time I do a channel search it assumes I’m still on Yorkshire and doesn’t ask. HTH. 

@Anonymous User wrote:

How does the NOW TV box decide which is the "right" region to show for BBC1, and is it possible to change it?

We are located in the East Midlands area, but very close to its theoretical edge.  The NOW TV box has decided that we should get Midlands rather than East Midlands.

Any clues?  

Thanks!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Strangely enough I lost a few Freeview channels during the weekend on my smart box and has rightly mentioned by @Anonymous User after messing around with my TV aerial wiring by connecting the aerial directly into the smart box and temporary bypassing my YouView box and inbuilt tuner on my Panasonic TV (i.e. giving me the strongest TV signal path possible in my setup).

Where once i did a re tune of the TV channels i was offered on screen from the smart box to select Wales (Wenvo South Wales) or England (Mendip Somerset) Smiley Happy

In my case once my TV reception was strong enough to pick up a second transmitter by altering the incoming aerial wiring the smart box picked up a second weaker transmitter (Mendips) after an automatic retune of the TV channels where i didn't even have to undertake a factory reset Smiley Happy