cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

PLEASE help me!!! Cannot set up new 'smart' box. Can't open new account, nothing happening!!!

Someone please help me before I lose my mind! 

I had NOw tv at my old address. Have moved home and had Sky TV but no broadband-due to BT Openreach leaving us broadband free for 5 weeks as that's their usual treatment when you move address!

Today the BT Openreach guy came and set up our broadband, but when he left we had NO SKY TV!!

Spent hours on the phone to sky to no avail and went out and bought a new smart Now Tv box thinkgin I could set it up and watch the Apprentice and forget about the awful day I've had but....No.

I have tried to set uo a new accunt with a new email to make sure the new box gets set up correctly. BUT the site won't let me get through the new account process. I put in card details and get stuck in a loop. I also have a completely new wifi address so I thought starting from scratch would help.

The Now box is connected to my TV via HDMi cable but there's no message onscreen. I am getting nowher. Please can someone help. I am so cheesed off. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

PS Sorry about the typos. I am past angry and just want to watch tv:(((

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Found an old thread on here that says the 'smart'(?) box cannot set up with older TVs, like my old Toshiba HD. As I don't have another TV available to check this, I'd really appreciate some advice before I shell out for a new TV.

Thanks 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

A few members on here have had difficulties initially setting up the newer nowtv smart box on certain Toshiba Regza TV's.

Where the standard nowtv black box seems to work fine in most cases when setting up the box on their older Toshiba TV's.

What is the model of your Toshiba TV, and have you tried all the HDMI ports on the Toshiba TV and maybe a different HDMI cable ?

If you haven't got a second TV in the house to initially setup and force a software update on the smart box, then there are a few things that i could suggest, but not sure if they would be practically possible in your circumstances.

Have you got a PC Monitor with a HDMI input connection that supports HDCP ?

Do you work in an Office where you can access a PC Monitor with a HDMI port and have access to the internet ?

Have you got any family members or friends living close to you where you can temporary take your smart box and hook up to their TV and connect to their internet, just to setup the box and force a software update which usually fixes the issue with certain model Toshiba TV's ?

With all the above, you don't need a TV aerial, just a TV with a HDMI Port which is HDCP compliant and an internet connection.

Sorry, i can't offer any simple suggestions, hopefully other helpful forum members may come up with far easier things to try.

Also think that the NowTV Team need to look into this why older Toshiba Regza TV's don't seem to be compatible when starting and setting up the smart box, but seem to connect fine after an update on the box.

Perhaps the smart boxes need to leave the factory where they are manufactured from with a newer firmware / software ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry to trouble you again, you mentioned at your previous address that you had NowTV, was that with the standard black box (identical to the picture below) and was it working OK on your Toshiba TV ?

std black box.jpg

Also, when you moved to your new address, did you sign up to NowTV Combo broadband where you have a new NowTV smart box or are you with a different broadband provider where you just went out and purchased a new NowTV smart box (identical to the photo below).

smart box.png

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User how many HDMI ports on your TV? If you are getting nothing on the TV then it suggests that the issue is with the lead or the HDMI port. How did you view Now previously.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Another question, if your nowtv was working ok at your old address, why didn't you use your existing username account, where i believe all you need to do was go to My Account > Bills & Payment and update your new home / billing address to the nowtv database.

Have you also notified the bank of your credit or debit card change of home address, where i believe the nowtv database system needs to match both your home address and card billing address to be the same account.

Also, have you tried any other Now TV Playback devices such has the mobile phone App etc apart from the smart box to see if you can watch any NowTV passes?