cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV smart box not working

Just got a smart box and set it up and it's refusing to show any channels, terrestial or NowTV.

I've got 2 standard boxes that are working fine and terrestial is coming through with the aerial plugged into the TV.

I've tried it on WiFi as well as cabled and no joy, 720 as well as 1080 and no luck.

What's going on?
11 REPLIES 11
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  Can I just check by aerial you mean freeview aerial?  I am assuming you have that plugged into your smart box and your smart box hooked up to the TV.    Can yu see any apps on the screen when it is connected to your TV?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup Plugged into TV via HDMI, Freeview aerial plugged into the box but no viewable freeview channels on the box but viewable channels when plugged back into the tv. All Now TV channels and apps working on the old box fine too just cannot get any TV running on the smart box. All apps are there, the box updated itself fine when first switched on and downloaded all apps
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Apologies if you've already done it, but have you done a scan for Freeview channels on the box yet - on the homescreen, go to Settings > TV Channels  and scan for available channels. Once this is done, you will be able to watch the Freeview channels at any time from the homescreen by clicking the Last Live Channel window, or via the TV Guide section.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Try removing the power cable from the box, removing the HDMI cable from both ends (box and TV) and turn off the TV. Wait a few mins, connect the HDMI cable back and power everything back up.

If that doesn't work, try a factory reset of the box. You'll find the option under Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset. You'll need to set up your wifi, enter your NOW TV account and tune the channels in again afterwards.

If that doesn't help, post back and let us know what exactly happens when you try to play a Freeview channel. Also, go into the NOW TV app and let us know what happens when you try to play one of the live channels in the entertainment section, and whether on-demand content works fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Andy

Yes I've unplugged it all, TV off etc etc and that made no difference.

Then did the factory reset etc etc and then went into the main live TV menu, the now TV channels worked. I then tried to use the Freeview menu and the same as before happened (see description below). I then went back to NowTV and those channels were no longer working!

Okay so when I put a Freeview channel on I get a burst of sound from whatever programme is on with a blank picture, then nothing just a blank screen with no sound. The EPG info shows up but nothing else.

On the live NowTV I get all the menus and programmes on the onscreen menu but when I click on a programme it appears to start loading (I get the little swirly thing in the middle of the screen) but the programme doesn't load.

If I didn't know the free view channels work through the TV and the NowTV channels work through the other 2 boxes I have (1 of the old white ones and the other the newer black one, that's the small ones not the 'smart' box) I'd think there was no signal or it was far too weak but surely something would work if the other devices are fine? Does this new box need an extremely strong signal or something? Just in case I've tried setting it to 720dpi which offers up the same problem.

I'm wondering if I've got faulty box!

Thanks
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Well, it's strange, as the NOW TV channels are  delivered via your broadband, so it's surprising to have issues with both Freeview and NOW TV channels.

Just in case I didn't explain very well last time, when you try to watch NOW TV are you clicking on the TV guide on the homepage and choosing a NOW TV channel from there or are you opening the NOW TV app first (eg by pressing the NOW TV button on the remote) and then choosing something to watch from there. I'm just wondering if it's an issue with the homepage interface.

Have you tried the BBC iPlayer app to see if that works fine?

To eliminate things further, any chance you could connect the smart box up to one of your other TVs (assuming there is an aerial connection), do another retune from the settings menu and see what happens then.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup done that, it picked up all the channels. All channels and info showing up on the EPG but can't see any Freeview channel via the box. No Now TV channels working either, all work fine on my other NowTV boxes and Freeview working on TV
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Please confirm... Are you a NOW TV 'combo' subscriber. Or do you just have a 'smart' box?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I just have a smart box.