cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joanne
Mentor

NowTV box

I wasn’t given the option for a NowTV box or stick. I have the app that’s it. How can I get a box?

17 REPLIES 17
Olgun
Observer

@gavs82008  sorry new to this. Plus sight problems means it more difficult to get this across!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Joanne 

To follow up from the posts by @Mark_Weinreb and @schnapps  The last time NOW “offered” a new device was when the white box got discontinued and they were offering a free Amazon fire stick as a replacement if they were using the box regularly.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

Now also offered a Firestick  to users on discontinuing Now on pre-2016 Samsung TVs. I know because I got sent one 😛

But yes, no more Now-branded hardware in the UK, though they were always slightly customised Roku devices anyway.

Mysteriously though, Now Sticks are, or were until recently, still available in Eire; they won’t work in the UK though.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Oh yeah, I knew there was another device more recent than the white box. Now I think of it the white box was being replaced by free NOW sticks hehe. 

As much as I like the Amazon stick the number of adverts and other crap they have on the Home Screen is very off putting. At times I’ve seriously considered splashing out on an Apple TV, but I’m too tight to get one 😂

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

I think @Joanne has moved from Virgin over to NOW Broadband.

So this might be the reason there is no TV box or Stick included with the NOW Broadband package.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-and-Billing-Broadband/I-want-to-join-nowtv/m-p/596240#M4341 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Joanne 

When you say you have got the App is this on a Smart TV, or some external device hooked up to your television or just the NOW App on a smartphone or tablet ?

Just trying see what you already have from the " what devices can I use to watch NOW " link that I previously posted.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008  @RoyB @Mark_Weinreb @schnapps @Joanne 

when I checked a few days ago, the price of virtually all Amazon streaming hardware had gone up, whereas by comparison, Roku's were on offer. Given their software related shortcomings. I would argue Amazon hardware isn't a very good deal now. Looks like they've got everyone hooked. Now they're trying to jack up prices  

The best replacement now branded hardware is a standard Roku.

• Match, frame rate, function needed for Now service due to UK content being 50 Hz (Roku express 4K and Roku streaming stick 4K) . 
  • advanced subtitle functionality (meaning the appearance of subtitles can be changed to suit the users needs. As most Roku apps use the Roku OS level functionality to achieve subtitles as this is the easiest way to implement subtitles on Roku only a few services such as Netflix use their own bespoke subtitle systems where Roku is concerned)

Technically, the streaming stick plus is still available but this tends to be more expensive than the streaming stick 4K and has an older SOC that is significantly slower, so I wouldn't recommend it any more.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 

Wow, Amazon have jacked their Sticks up £10/£20, leaving the field clear for Roku.

We have three TVs with Rokus, and three with Firesticks; which sounds pretty even until you know that our main 3 TVs have the Rokus, and the Firesticks are on the 32” clunkers in the guest bedrooms 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.