cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Stream from iOS/Mac

Why does Sky only provide a stream-from-device option, the PlayTo app, which is only designated for Windows/Android? Why is it not provided for someone that would have an iPhone or a Macbook?

The Roku box has the easy capability of being used as such with its DLNA technology. Why was this removed as a feature? Is it a legal issue? I just don't understand why Sky have stripped down the box so significantly. 

2 REPLIES 2
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User to be honest I am surprised that the playto app is still there. You would need to ask the developer of playto why they don't support iPhone. As for stripped down, you do pay a lot less so lose some features. There will have been both legal and commercial reasons behind Sky's decisions, e.g. it cannot be seen to be facilitating piracy by making certain apps available.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @4268

Hi Ando

If you really want the kind of facilities not available to the Now TV box, including DLNA, you should buy a Roku device, such as the Roku 3 box, the new Roku Stick or Roku Express, which all cost more than Now TV's black box.

I believe the main reason why Now TV boxes are sold with so few facilities is simply because they do not want to host rival channel/apps that will compete with their offerings, i.e. it was a commercial decision.

UK Bob