cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv box turns on on its own

We have out smart box upstairs in the bedroom, we tent to put a film on when going to sleep and when that film finishes it eventually puts itself on standby - not an issue at all. What is the issue is that if one of us coughs or makes noise and movement (not been able to isolate which the trigger is!) the box comes out of standby and starts playing the last watched tv channel and the tv channel menu page is onscreen. Why does it do this? Is it normal?! It’s turned off at the wall all day but we don’t want to have to get up and turn it off in the middle of the night! Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That's weird, so during the middle of the night the power adaptor plug is left switched on or off ?

If it happened only on a couple of occasions then I would say it might be an overnight firmware / software update on the box. 

If it's happening all the time, maybe a electrical power surge in the house is causing it?

Also check in the box menu settings that the 1 touch feature is disabled, just incase it's an HDMi signal causing it. 

Only thing that I could suggest is to switch off the mains power to the box each night when going to bed or look at a replacement box. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi Schnapps

You said, in response to Fern's problem, "....it might be an overnight firmware / software update on the box".  I am inclined to agree with you because the Now TV boxes check daily for software updates, which usually happens between 2.00am to 6.00am, i.e when most people are sleeping.  And since Fern's TV does not have an auto-switch off, like most modern TVs, then it becomes activated when the box is checking for it's updates.

I believe the way Fern can solve her problem is by buying a timer for her electrical socket, that way everything will be switched off in one go.

Socket Timer.jpg

The electrical socket timers, like the one pictured above, can be purchased from Amazon.co.uk.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That could well be what it is then! Thank you, we thought it had some kind of sensor! I think the tv has a timer on it so I’m guessing if that’s activated to turn the tv off then it should stop it being a HTMI issue. Most likely to be the update then it does it most nights, to start with we thought that each other had been putting it back on in the night but then I was awake when it came on and realised not. The only reason we don’t switch it off on the wall at night is we fall asleep with the film on rather than reach behind the wardrobe to the socket. A timer may come in handy if the tv timer doesn’t work!
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you fall asleep when watching a movie, then the nowtv smart box will remain on until the TV is switched off and it loses it's HDMI signal or in the box menu settings there is an option to automatically turn off the power after 4 hours.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 

A similar thing has just happened to me. I had paused a programme for over an hour and the program unpaused without me touching the remote control....I tried to press pause it would not work. The programm continued playing. 

Can anyone give me any advise as to why this has occured

Many thanks

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. The box can only pause for about half an hour or so before the buffer is full and no more content can be stored (it doesn't have a large hard drive just a small amount of solid state memory) and once it's full it starts playing again,myou wouldn't have been able to pause again because it was still playing from a full buffer, however it should have let you fast forward to catch up at which point you could have paused again.