cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv box keeps skipping back

The last few days when we are watching channel 5 on smart boxit randomly jumps back about 20 mins to parts we have already seen and have to fast forward to catch up. It happens on other channels but not as much. Brought a new smart box as we thought it could be that but happening on tge new one. Anyine k ow what it could be
181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This firmware update should be made available to all users as it appears to be an issue for everyone by default not just those who post on this page!

YX005J644048
5686D5644048

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:
This firmware update should be made available to all users as it appears to be an issue for everyone by default not just those who post on this page!

YX005J644048
5686D5644048

It’s set for mass release in March but as stated they will try to push it to people who post here sooner. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

5686c8706626 device id
Yx008a706626 Serial no 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device ID: 568798556166

Serial Number: YX0088556166

Model: 4500SK - Now TV Box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Been facing this issue like everyone else since the last update. I never bothered posting about it before as I'd assumed Nowtv would've fixed it very quickly. I'm posting now only because it could be another month before we get a fix and I'd like them to update my box now. It's a really irritating fault and causes shows to be unwatchable. They should role it out now and not march as there's no guarantee the fix will work, as they didn't catch the flaw with the last update before release. Release it to all is, that way if it doesn't work, you can get working on a different fix immediately instead of waiting til march and only getting to work on a new fix in April.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi SR

I've just read your post and I can sympathise with your position and why you want the fix rolled out now. However, as a person who has in the past worked quite closely with programmers, I can tell you that fixes and updates are rolled out to a schedule unless they are very urgent.  But how a problem qualifies as "very urgent" is usually determined by how many users are affected by the current problem.

Now, I am going to speculate here, I believe that the programmers working for Now TV do not do so exclusively and so have to balance their time and releases between Now TV and their other employers, this would account for the reason why releases are not rolled out immediately.

Please note, I am not connected to Now TV in anyway whatsoever or an apologist for what they do but, as I said before, I have worked with programmers and I am familiar with their working practices.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboywrote:

@Anonymous User

Hi SR

I've just read your post and I can sympathise with your position and why you want the fix rolled out now. However, as a person who has in the past worked quite closely with programmers, I can tell you that fixes and updates are rolled out to a schedule unless they are very urgent.  But how a problem qualifies as "very urgent" is usually determined by how many users are affected by the current problem.

Now, I am going to speculate here, I believe that the programmers working for Now TV do not do so exclusively and so have to balance their time and releases between Now TV and their other employers, this would account for the reason why releases are not rolled out immediately.

Please note, I am not connected to Now TV in anyway whatsoever or an apologist for what they do but, as I said before, I have worked with programmers and I am familiar with their working practices.

UK Bob

Hate to point fingers here but they’ve already said they’ve identified and resolved the issue with a firmware update (ie all programming done). As it would seem from the number of posts about this problem it’s safe to say it’s being experienced by every smart box owner that’s updated to the last release. They have identified the problem they’ve got the fix upload it to the release server and let our boxes get fixed so we can get the service we’ve paid for. If a firmware fix which is forced on users and not optional causes boxes to operate incorrectly it should be fixed in a timely manner. This has been going on for a couple of months at least. That’s not timely.  They asked for our box details days ago and still nothing. Talk about dangling a carrot 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi SY99

I have read your post and there are a number of misconceptions which I believe I may be able to correct, I shall answer the queries in the order you posted them.

First, you said, "...they’ve identified and resolved the issue with a firmware update (ie all programming done)".  That maybe but when updating a massive programme, like the one administering Now TV's business, it is probable that the update may have an unexpected impact they may actually cripple the business. That's why all updates have to go through a number of off-line tests before being released onto the live environment.

Next, you said, "If a firmware fix which is forced on users and not optional causes boxes to operate incorrectly it should be fixed in a timely manner".  You know, I agree with you but as you may know yourself Now TV have in the past released an update that bricked most Now TV black boxes throughout the UK, that time they pulled out all the stops to reverse that update (which probably was very expensive to do).  So, I guess, you can now understand why they are being cautious about doing a full rollout before they are ready.

And finally, you said, "This has been going on for a couple of months at least. That’s not timely. They asked for our box details days ago and still nothing. Talk about dangling a carrot".  Again, I agree with you but now Now TV has to mend fences by doing some "public relations" fixing with their smart box customers.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is also happening on our box but only happens if we have paused it. Once you press that pause button if you want to skip forward, you get to watch 5 mins before it skips right back to however far behind you are. So if we pause it for -15mins. Then fast forward the adverts so it's now on -10 mins. You get to watch about 5 mins then it skips back to -15mins. So we then have to forward it again. This is even more annoying if you are -30mins and skip forward cos now it keeps going back 30 mins. Please sort it. I've tried resetting the box and everything. It's so frustrating!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Karl,
I was about to ring today to report this as mine has been doing the same. Happy there appears to be a fix though so here are my details and I look forward to being resolved very soon...
Serial number YX00F7134373
Device ID 56872F134373

Thanks
Ronnie