cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV via component connection?

I can't afford a new HDTV so would like to continue using my ageing CRT TV and use a 2nd Now TV box (as an additional device on an existing account).

The TV has SCART and component/AV connections and I understand the latter's audio/video quality to be the superior of the two not that I'm hoping for HD on a CRT TV obviously.

I'm also aware of the DCHP standard and was hoping someone could guide me as to whether it's worth me getting an HDMI-component converter. Maybe one version of a Now TV box will work where another might not for example.

Alternatively, does anyone know of other (non-HDMI) products which would be a good substitute for a Now TV box?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The HDMI convertor box would need to be HDCP version 1.4 or higher to have a chance of working with the NowTV black box which is HDMI profile 1.4.

However I can't guarantee the converter box will work (perhaps somebody who has a working HDMI to component or scart converter box with a nowtv box can recommend you a product to use).

Would have said go with an older white nowtv box and use the analogue out with a red, white & yellow adapter cable, but these boxes are getting long in the tooth now and there is no grantuee how long nowtv will be supporting them in the future.

If you are only interested in the four main trestrial catch up Apps such has BBC iplayer, ITV Hub etc and only use a nowtv cinema pass, then something like a BT Youview box  with a scart connection could be something looking into has an option for your CRT TV?

Obviously you would have to do some further research if considering the Youview option and may have to ask the question on here to Youview owners who use the scart option to their TV and which model Youview box they have and what Apps are on the box that work over scart etc. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am only aware of two CRT TV's that had a native resolution above 576p using the component connection one was a JVC (can't remember the model number) and the other CRT was a Samsung Slimfit CRT which i owned which could output 1080i or 720p over component (Red Green Blue) but this Samsung CRT TV also had a single HDMI input port for 720p video as well.

With a HDMI to component adapter converter box which you can buy from places like Amazon or Ebay etc the best video output you will achieve from a nowtv box would be SD 576p.

Personally If it was me, i would look out for a cheap second hand HD Ready or full HD TV from Gumtree, where you will be surprised on the bargains you can get out there, where people are up grading their TV's to 4K UHD.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks schnapps, and apologies for the delay in replying. I can put up with the lower res TV until I have the funds to buy a new 4k TV and am hoping to make do with what we have at present. That said, I don't doubt at all that there are some great opportunities on Gumtree for example.

In the meantime I've received the HDMI > Component converter.

Before connecting the Now TV box to the SD CRT TV I changed its video output to 720p and changed the picture quality in iPlayer to Standard Definition (following advice in another thread).

The result: audio passes through but no video. I've checked and re-checked red-red, blue-blue etc. and even swapped a couple of the colours around hoping I wouldn't do any damage.

I also worked through the TVs settings menus in case any of those (e.g frequency, aspect ratio etc might make a difference - it is a 16:9 display btw).

The only other thing I can think of to try (to test the converter works) is connecting the setup to our LCD HDTV. If I still don't have any luck I guess I'll conclude the Now TV box isn't allowing the video to pass through the converter.

In which case I don't suppose it's worth trying a HDMI > SCART converter?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The HDMI convertor box would need to be HDCP version 1.4 or higher to have a chance of working with the NowTV black box which is HDMI profile 1.4.

However I can't guarantee the converter box will work (perhaps somebody who has a working HDMI to component or scart converter box with a nowtv box can recommend you a product to use).

Would have said go with an older white nowtv box and use the analogue out with a red, white & yellow adapter cable, but these boxes are getting long in the tooth now and there is no grantuee how long nowtv will be supporting them in the future.

If you are only interested in the four main trestrial catch up Apps such has BBC iplayer, ITV Hub etc and only use a nowtv cinema pass, then something like a BT Youview box  with a scart connection could be something looking into has an option for your CRT TV?

Obviously you would have to do some further research if considering the Youview option and may have to ask the question on here to Youview owners who use the scart option to their TV and which model Youview box they have and what Apps are on the box that work over scart etc.